Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Nos rims ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels: Nos rims ???

What are the chances of NOS rims being round and balance-able ?? Is storage a real concern over 60 years ? How effective is re-truing a steel rim ?? 1953 2R6.... 16 or 16.5 rims...

1953 2R6.... 16 or 16.5 rims...
    All I remember is the 16". And no, steel wheels don't age out in dry storage.

In any case, given the narrow rim width and the bog-slow crusing speed of the 2R6, there should be no problem.

You didn't ask, but unless doing a concours restoration, I'd choose radial tires.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

It can all depend on how/where they were stored. "NOS" can mean absolutely ANYthing. I've seen "NOS" that looked like stuff I toss in the woods.

Comment

The reason I ask is because the local tire chain store told me they could "not" balance the rims I now have on the truck. I'm thinking maybe laziness/lack of profit.... I once bought 4 NOS brake drums for my 64' ragtop back in the 80's from N&A...... they were all warped .....

Comment

You're not giving us enough information. Any tire store worth the patronage should be able to show you precisely why they're having difficulties and what they can do to make it work.

Originally posted by jackb View Post
          The reason I ask is because the local tire chain store told me they could "not" balance the rims I now have on the truck.
          FWIW, I was a tire service manager in an earlier lifetime. What I'd do is remove the tires from the wheels and spin them up on the machine. Most tire balancers have an arm against which I'd hold a yellow tire marking crayon. Touch it against the inside and outside of both bead seating areas. This will show any out-of round conditions on the wheels themselves. There are some steel wheels so out of round they can't be balanced, but that's very rare. More common on used wheels are bent enough to have a noticeable wobble.

If all the wheels check out, then remount the tires and check them for out of round. If radials, they can have broken belts. If these were new tires and out of round, just exchange them for some which are round. If the tires are used, but good enough you want to keep them, back in the day, most good tire shops had a truing machine. It sliced off the high spots and made the tire/wheel combination perfectly round.

I'm thinking maybe laziness/lack of profit....
          For true, in a busy shop, if a vehicle comes in just for a balance - no new tires, no new parts, it's possible your shop sees this as not worth their time to really dig into the problem. If they say, troubleshooting problems is on an hourly rate above the balance, most CASOs start to swoon.

Bottom line - This ain't rocket science. There's a simple answer and a good tire shop should find it quickly. Take it to the best tire shop in town and ask for their help in understanding why the first tire shop didn't do its job.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
            The reason I ask is because the local tire chain store told me they could "not" balance the rims I now have on the truck. I'm thinking maybe laziness/lack of profit.... I once bought 4 NOS brake drums for my 64' ragtop back in the 80's from N&A...... they were all warped .....
            Jack, I have 16" original rims on my '61 Champ truck and just had a bad tire replaced on one. The local tire store had no problem balancing it. Even with the fact it has a tube in it. Yes, they even put a new tube in it for me. I would say your tire store folks are just not well educated.
            Ed Sallia
            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

The trouble is the stuff that ain't rocket science is exactly the knowledge that is not being passed on today. Not only in the automotive industry but in machine shops, foundries and other basic industries. If it isn't on the computer it doesn't exist. I still have rotary telephones in the house and I had to explain to my 9 year old granddaughter how to dial it and which way to hold it. I didn't have to have anyone explain it to me. Of course her mother doubted me when we were in a '62 3 ton grain truck 4 spd with 2 spd rear end in 1999 on my sister's and BIL's wheat ranch in Sask. She said "Dad, are you sure you know how to drive this?". I said "watch me" and away we went. She and my son have never driven a stick, sad to say.

Comment

Working...
              X