Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

vinyl top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body: vinyl top

Had interesting am. Took 64 to upholstery shop. Guy says stainless trim on rain gutter has to come off. His Abra buddy says sure he can remove it but will likely ruin it in doing so. Car is back home with top still in pickup. Is it necessary to remove the trim on the rain gutter to install the top???

NO, do not remove that trim. They should be able to glue the top down into the rain gutter and then use a sealer to cover the raw edge. I had my 66 done that way 4 years ago and it's not shown any signs of a problem. Find another trim shop that does vinyl tops for a living, not just seats and headliners. You will need to remove the windshield and rear window to get the vinyl glued under correctly. Some say they can stuff the vinyl under the rubber, but it always comes back to haunt you somehow.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
      Had interesting am. Took 64 to upholstery shop. Guy says stainless trim on rain gutter has to come off. His Abra buddy says sure he can remove it but will likely ruin it in doing so. Car is back home with top still in pickup. Is it necessary to remove the trim on the rain gutter to install the top???
      A "64" should not have a vinyl top. I knew of a 1965 Cruiser with a vinyl top and of course all of the Sports Sedans ('65-'66). Are you making a custom or perhaps you got the year of your car wrong?
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It is a GT Hawk

Comment

It is a GT Hawk
          Thanks! My error. That is one combination that I hadn't thought of (thinking sedans). You just have a canopy roof.

In any case, I always recommend against removing the drip moulding, if at all possible. Yes, the trim will most likely, but not necessarily, be ruined upon removal. If you have new/good drip rail trim on hand then I woud remove it.

I think that I got more confused (thinking sedan) by thunderations stating that you must remove the windshield and rear glass.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I was thinking sedan too.................OPPS.
            Originally posted by studegary View Post
            Thanks! My error. That is one combination that I hadn't thought of (thinking sedans). You just have a canopy roof.

In any case, I always recommend against removing the drip moulding, if at all possible. Yes, the trim will most likely, but not necessarily, be ruined upon removal. If you have new/good drip rail trim on hand then I woud remove it.

I think that I got more confused (thinking sedan) by thunderations stating that you must remove the windshield and rear glass.
            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
            1950 Champion Convertible
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I had a 64 GT once upon a time.... had to remove the chrome strip that runs across the roof at the rear of the vinyl. That involves removing the head liner, at least I should have removed it to get to the threaded fasteners. Slit it instead. Dumb move. Don't remember removing the drip rail moldings though.

Comment

Thanks. Need a new shop or dity.

Comment

Jeffry as said you should be able to glue and seal top at drip rail. Just be sure they do a good job sealing it all the way around. Water will not be your friend. And with time the top will start to lift up at the edge. Do you have the mldg. that runs across the back of the top? They do make universal mldgs but they wont look as nice. The tops on the Gt's where only half tops.

Comment

I will put a nice used roof moulding for the 1964 Hawk sports roof on eBay
                    but will offer it here first for $ 350.00.
                    Robert Kapteyn
                    815 212 2389

Comment

While I agree with others that these drip moulds should not be removed if it can be avoided, it is possible to do so with patience (which I don't have) and practice (which I can't afford). The lower edge needs to be gently pushed outwards from inside the car using something blunt like a flat piece of wood. And if you ever have the chance, have a close look at how the drip rail area was sealed by the Hamilton factory on 1965-66 Vinyl roof cars. They were nicely finished cars.

Chris.

Comment

.....he can remove it but will likely ruin it .......
                        In order to paint a few cars, I've removed that trim with a beer bottle opener. Never hurt it...
                        64 GT Hawk (K7)
                        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
                        X