Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Unsticking throttle shafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Unsticking throttle shafts

Does anybody have good advice on unsticking the throttle shafts on an AFB? Thanks.
    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Have gone down this road more times than i care to remember. if soaking in your favorite penetrant doesn't work, gentle heat on casting. if still bound up i have drilled a tiny hole through casting to throttle shaft for penetrating oil. one such project i had to do both shafts, then countersink each hole to hold more penetrant.it still survives to this day as a runner. at one time the AFB was scarce, now i've got a tub full of whole carbs and a pile of spare bits. stude and brand X as well. good thing as i needed a really small 4bbl for the 224/turbo project. built a 400cfm carb from scraps that works good. Luck Doofus

Comment

I've got the primaries unstuck on the main carburetor tonight. I'm in the beginning of getting the secondaries unstuck on the donor carb. It's been through a fire and even has a melted electric choke on it. It even has that mysterious big jumbo third idle screw up front. Anyway, I'm letting the Blaster soak in for another day. Can you buy Kroil in Omaha? Until then, I made some Kroil Klone with cheap ATF and acetone. Any advice on getting stuck jets out?
      1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
      1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
      1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
      1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
      1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
      1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

try to read the no's on the jet first. soft brass can be hard to deal with. a screw driver ground to fit the jet's slot is a start. if that does'nt do it go with a small easy out. if jet is undamaged , when trying screwdriver, use lot's of downward pressure on handle to keep from camming out and stripping slot. sounds like a GM carb, what number is it? i may have some bits for it. Luck Doofus

Comment

Working...
        X