289 Valve Stem Seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 289 Valve Stem Seals

My Shop manual shows an umbrella type valve stem seal...just like I got in my Fel Pro FS 7669 gasket set. However, I've attached a photo of the valve stem seals on MY cylinder heads. The valves/seats appear to be new, with no wear, the combustion chambers are spotless and the cylinder heads are very clean. There is a rubber lip against the valve stem. Are these Studebaker valve stem seals, or have they been replaced?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1439.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1750963
    Last edited by 345 DeSoto; 05-20-2016, 07:42 AM.

They've been replaced by a machine shop; I had that done one one of my past rebuilds. If I remember correctly, I was told they were a "Chevy type".

Comment

I read on one of the forum threads that Ford valve stem seals are being used. They are supposed to be better then the originals.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

The rubber seals are soft and pliable. Since it APPEARS the I have a fresh valve job, should I leave things be, or use the umbrella type seals? Are the seals I have, a good seal?

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
          My Shop manual shows an umbrella type valve stem seal...just like I got in my Fel Pro FS 7669 gasket set. However, I've attached a photo of the valve stem seals on MY cylinder heads. The valves/seats appear to be new, with no wear, the combustion chambers are spotless and the cylinder heads are very clean. There is a rubber lip against the valve stem. Are these Studebaker valve stem seals, or have they been replaced?
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]54288[/ATTACH]
          Definitely not Stude, if you are going to replace them, try to get a number off them, as the tops of the valve guide towers may have been machined just for them.

Comment

Could not find a name or part number, but it appears that the towers were machined for them...

Comment

This person on ebay has made many sizes of positive seals that will easily fit Stude engines without machining of the guide..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251812860054

Get the dimensions and search his "Other Items" to find the right ones.

Comment

They appear to be the Standard for all Engines, replacements; Perfect Circle I think their name was "Perfect Seal" (not sure) that Machinists have been using for decades requiring machining the Guides.
                You do not want to remove them.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

STUDERICH - That's what they look like! And no, I was hoping I wouldn't need to remove them...they appear brand new. Thanks, Rich...again.

Comment

These are positive stem seals,guide tops are machined to fit. they take a tool or deep well socket to install and a plastic sleeve on valve stem to protect them from cutting on valve keeper grooves. leave'em be.Luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
                      These are positive stem seals,guide tops are machined to fit. they take a tool or deep well socket to install and a plastic sleeve on valve stem to protect them from cutting on valve keeper grooves. leave'em be.Luck Doofus
                      Years ago, I was advised by several machinists that the teflon version of these will actually wear the valve stem down. Not sure they are even made of teflon anymore though
                      Still true: Yes? No?
                      Thanks

Comment

Another point in support that your engine/car is not extremely low mileage.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

STUDEGARY - If it was such a "high mileage" engine, how do you account for the fact that the crank mains/rods are STD, right on the button, and there is no hint of a ridge on any of the cylinders, the cam and lifters show no signs of wear, and the fiber cam gear is like new? Could be that the owner had better valve seals installed? Some people might find a good deal, once in a while, in spite of what you may or may not believe or agree with.

Comment

I just replaced mine and you can get at the Napa store and they are cheaper than SI.

Comment

I agree with doofus. Leave them alone. I have replaced Stude valve seals with ones from NAPA because the original ones get hard with age. The ones from NAPA are nothing special but work ok.

Comment

Working...
                              X