Avanti Manual Window Regulators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
    Pure curiosity-how many original Avanti's were produced with manual windows, Avanti IIs?
    According to the Studebaker National Museum Archives publication "The Studebaker Avanti Production Data" (excellent reference prepared by George Krem's intensive research), of the 3,834 1963 Avantis, 1,245 had electric windows so 2,589 had manual windows. Of the 809 1964 Avantis, 225 had electric windows leaving 584 with manual windows, total Studebaker Avantis with manual windows, 3,173. I doubt if there is a breakdown of manual versus power windows in later Avantis, but I suspect there were very few with manual windos.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

As most folks who have dealt with these cars know, original Studebaker Avanti doors weren't strong enough to take the torque of the power window motor assy. That, and the added weight of the power window mechanisms and wiring 'did in' many early Avanti doors. (They'd crack at the upper hinge area)

Also, until a shield was added on the later Stude Avantis, the wiring harness tended to fray and break at the hinge area.

A good example of a 'problem' power window Studebaker Avanti is 63R-3623, where an owner got so fed up with this he purchased and installed complete manual window style used doors on this car!

Comment

In the 49 years I have owned my Avanti I am thankful the car came with "cheap" manual windows!
        Originally posted by 53k View Post
        According to the Studebaker National Museum Archives publication "The Studebaker Avanti Production Data" (excellent reference prepared by George Krem's intensive research), of the 3,834 1963 Avantis, 1,245 had electric windows so 2,589 had manual windows. Of the 809 1964 Avantis, 225 had electric windows leaving 584 with manual windows, total Studebaker Avantis with manual windows, 3,173. I doubt if there is a breakdown of manual versus power windows in later Avantis, but I suspect there were very few with manual windos.

Comment

Studebaker also added an additional lower window stop to the inside of the window run...this helped to ameliorate the door panel flexing/cracking that was so rampant.
          Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
          As most folks who have dealt with these cars know, original Studebaker Avanti doors weren't strong enough to take the torque of the power window motor assy. That, and the added weight of the power window mechanisms and wiring 'did in' many early Avanti doors. (They'd crack at the upper hinge area)

Also, until a shield was added on the later Stude Avantis, the wiring harness tended to fray and break at the hinge area.

A good example of a 'problem' power window Studebaker Avanti is 63R-3623, where an owner got so fed up with this he purchased and installed complete manual window style used doors on this car!

Comment

Working...
          X