Replace Turn Signal Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Replace Turn Signal Switch

Could someone provide directions or a link to help me replace a faulty turn signal switch in my 1956 President with automatic transmission. S.I. lists a new switch and wires for $75, which is a bargain if I can install it. My left turn signal does not work, nor does the left brake light, except occasionally, when it did (briefly) yesterday after sitting in the sun. I know this is a common problem, and I don't have a parts book or shop manual available for this year. Thanks.

Maybe I could clean and lubricate contacts with electrolytic grease before I replace the old switch and wires.
    sigpic
    Jack, in Montana

I have battled a similar problem on my GT Hawk. I replaced the switch in mine, to no avail. I don't know how similar the ts electromechanical setups are between the two cars, but I found the culprit in mine to be a a slightly warped repro nylon cancelling device. Replaced it and it works better. I also find that using a lube product called Triflow helps immensely, works great on plastic/metal parts, leaves a dry coating of Teflon and doesn't harden or attract dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by jnfweber View Post
      I don't have a parts book or shop manual available for this year. ...Maybe I could clean and lubricate contacts with electrolytic grease before I replace the old switch and wires.
      Well, obviously you need to troubleshoot to verify if the switch needs replaced. The shop manual IS available, and would certainly help.
      The short answer to your question is, you would need to remove the horn ring and steering wheel to expose the signal switch; unscrew the switch, disconnect all the wires where they join the harness at the lower end of the column, pull that all out, fish the wires from the new switch through the column, connect to the harness, screw the switch in place and replace the steering wheel and horn ring. And hope that was your issue. Once you've exposed your switch, you may simply find a broken solder joint.
      Or...you may just have a short or ground issue in your left rear tail light. Start with the simplest cheapest troubleshooting. Do you have a test light?
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Before pulling the existing wires out, attach a heavy string to each wire and pull them up with the switch wires leaving 2 ft. or so at bottom of col. I found that if you pull a string for each wire, it works best on the Stude. At least on my Hawk. You have to pull each one out a couple inches at a time so they don't bunch up inside the col. When you get to doing it, you'll see what I mean. Good luck! =Jim

Comment

Working...
        X