1957 Golden Hawk Engine compartment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1957 Golden Hawk Engine compartment

I am in need of correct pictures of the engine compartment on my 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk
    Please send to my email address Pdskinner 1961@gmail.com
    Thanks

On the SDC Forum we usually just post answers to questions like this here so others can also see and benefit from them, unless there is something about the answer or picture that is very "Personal" in which case we use a Forum PM (Personal Message).

Click image for larger version

Name:	57 Gold_WhiteF.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	1705497 I believe this Air Box should have been bare Silver/Gray Aluminum, not black.

You will find VERY few good close ups in Color of ORIGINAL GH's that have fresh from the Factory Colors, most are really good restorations like this one.

There would be VERY few Late '57's that MIGHT have the '58 Silver Engine Blocks with everything else the same.

You should be able to find some evidence of the Original Turquoise Green or Aluminum Silver Paint on some of the cooler running parts if you have the Original untouched PS Serial Number Engine.

Name:	58 Park Green8.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1705498

ID:	1705498Click image for larger version

ID:	1705498
    Last edited by StudeRich; 05-19-2016, 11:47 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      On the SDC Forum we usually just post answers to questions like this here so others can also see and benefit from them, unless there is something about the answer or picture that is very "Personal" in which case we use a Forum PM (Personal Message).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54259[/ATTACH] I believe this Air Box should have been bare Silver/Gray Aluminum, not black.

You will find VERY few good close ups in Color of ORIGINAL GH's that have fresh from the Factory Colors, most are really good restorations like this one.

There would be VERY few Late '57's that MIGHT have the '58 Silver Engine Blocks with everything else the same.

You should be able to find some evidence of the Original Turquoise Green or Aluminum Silver Paint on some of the cooler running parts if you have the Original untouched PS Serial Number Engine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54260[/ATTACH]
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]54260[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]54260[/ATTACH]
      I believe the carb air box should be painted black on the '57 and the '58 Golden Hawks Rich, but I've seen factory photos of '58 Packard Hawk engine compartments that seem to show a 'natural aluminum' carb air box assy.

Comment

If you look up original car magazine road test from 1957 golden Hawk and Packard Clipper the air box appear to be painted black The 57 Clipper shop manual has picture of a Golden Hawk engine with painted air box
        Last edited by acolds; 05-22-2016, 08:08 AM.

Comment

I owned my 1957 Golden Hawk for nine years and I can not remember for sure what the original finish on the air box was. However, that was a 1957, not a 1958 which may have been different.
          I looked in the 1958 Salesman's Data Book (PD 8006). On page 32, there is a depiction of the engine with what appears to be a natural finish air box. On page 34, there is a picture of the engine compartment with what appears to be an air box painted dark/black, but that may not be the case because all of the supercharger related components in that picture have been altered to appear as a different color to make them stand out.
          The net - I do not remember these air boxes as being painted and I do not see any reason why Studebaker would have gone through the time, trouble and expense of painting them.

EDIT: I just went back and noticed that the original question was for 1957 models.
          I dug out my 1957 Studebaker Data Book (PD 1018).
          On page 24 is the same picture that is on page 32 of the 1958 book with what appears to be a natural finish air box. On page 26, is a similar picture to what is on page 34 of the 1958 book. In this picture, all of the supercharger related parts are RED.

I guess this just proves that you can not use these factory pictures. As we know, Studebaker made engine pictures with different colors than the engines were built with.

I do not remember any paint on the air box in the 1957 Golden Hawk that I owned for nine years or the 1957 Golden Hawk engine that I bought with 47K miles on it and I installed in a 1953 Commander Starliner and kept for nine years.
          Last edited by studegary; 05-21-2016, 03:15 PM.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I am pretty sure my '57 GH was an unmolested original when I got it from the prior owner. The air box was unfinished aluminum, i.e., not painted black or any other color. Since then, I have had the airbox polished to a bright luster, because I like to look at it that way. I say: let's make the world a more beautiful place!

Comment

I bought an N.O.S. 1957-58 pressure box and base from CUNDN Racing a couple of years ago. It was finished in black wrinkle paint, but of course McCulloch made parts for other companies and aftermarket installations. I doubt any were painted black for regular Studebaker production.

Chris.

Comment

Working...
              X