No announcement yet.

289 block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried to remove the cam today and had to take air chisel to the cam gear as there is no way to turn engine over. It was pretty well eaten away and fell apart easy. Left just the piece right around the cam and if somehow I can get it out I will remove that. All main caps are off and everything looks good so far. Will have to take the cutting torch to the rods at about the center of the beams to get the crank out of the block then I can remove the rod caps. As bad as the rust looks I think most is from water and dirt stuck to the oil and may clean up easier then a guy would think. Crank number is 5374, Block casting number is 535601 and engine number is P 88997.

Comment

You are missing the Two or Three most important casting numbers on the Crank.
      Studebaker Drawing Numbers are 6 or 7 Digit Numeric.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I'll look again tomorrow but the 5374 are the raised numbers cast onto one of the counterweights. which most times is a crank cast number but there maybe another one under all the gunk.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
          I'll look again tomorrow but the 5374 are the raised numbers cast onto one of the counterweights. which most times is a crank cast number but there maybe another one under all the gunk.
          It's a minor but significant technical point; all Stude V8 crankshafts are forged and the numbers thereon are forged onto them and not cast into them

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

So was that chain attached to it for a boat anchor? Looks like it sat at the bottom of a lake for some time. I would not waist any effort on that engine. There are so many out there in way better shape. You can get to most oil galleys, but some, impossible. The rust that is in the hidden ones will only cause you grief later on. Best thing is to China make iPhones out of it.

Comment

No engine sat in the car open with no intake, no hood in AZ for years. Block is going to China just wanted to save the crank and the cam shaft. If they don't want to come out with out to much work they will go there also. Cast or forged the numbers are part of the crank not a number put in on the line with a metal stamp.

Comment

looks like the whole thing goes to China.

Comment

What "was" this going to go in?

Comment

I was saving parts to build a motor for a champ pickup but looks like it will get a SBC.

Comment

Working...
                    X