Top Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BILT4ME View Post
    My 59 Lark easily goes 100 with a similar setup.

Tires: P205-65R-15. Dia=26.9" Circumf. = 7.0424 ft.
    Rear Axle Ratio: 3.31
    one mile = 749.7444 rotations.
    Assuming 3rd gear on my Flightomatic is 1:1

one mile per minute is 60 MPH

749.7444 x 3.31 = 2481.65 RPM
    at 50 MPH, the engine is turning at 2068 RPM
    at 60 MPH, the engine is turning at 2482 RPM
    at 70 MPH, the engine is turning at 2896 RPM
    at 80 MPH, the engine is turning at 3309 RPM
    at 90 MPH, the engine is turning at 3723 RPM
    at 100 MPH, the engine is turning at 4137 RPM
    at 110 MPH, the engine is turning at 4551 RPM
    at 120 MPH, the engine is turning at 4964 RPM

I'll probably run out of HP before I get there, but on paper it works so far. Maybe with a little tail wind.
    Did you mean tire size P205-75-R15 instead of -65? Because the figures you gave are near identical to actual speed I experience in mine, with 75 series radials.
    Thanks

Comment

Sorry, Yes Joe you are correct. Fat-Fingered the number.

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
      Did you mean tire size P205-75-R15 instead of -65? Because the figures you gave are near identical to actual speed I experience in mine, with 75 series radials.
      Thanks
      Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
      1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Originally posted by shifter4 View Post
        Mr Lee , could you at least do us the favor , for instance , of going out there and checking to see if the throttle is being
        opened all the way ? That certainly is cost free , and since people have taken the effort to try to answer your
        question , why not do that ?
        I will do that ASAP. I really appreciate everyone's response. Based on my inability to engage the passing gear, even with the accelerator floored, it sounds like a linkage adjustment issue. The engine has only about 15k miles on a complete rebuild, and otherwise runs flawlessly; no stalling, lagging, coughing, barfing, or other unpleasant issues. Thanks for your feedback.
        peter lee

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
          When my dad was a mechanic at a school bus garage during the 1950s-70s, the school board bought new, a yellow, early 1950s Chevy pickup. Upon taking delivery of the truck, the bus garage's head mechanic welded a bolt under the gas pedal, to limit high gear speed to 35 MPH. That truck stayed in service till the late 1970s, and rolled many hundreds of thousands of miles, all at 35 MPH or less.

Any chance your car was bought new by a school board? Was it originally school bus yellow? Looked under the gas pedal for a bolt welded in place? Other than that-based on what you have told us-I have no clue why it will only go 75 MPH.
          My friend had a great all original 1950 Chevy pickup. and at 45 MPH the engine was really singing, so 35 was a good speed for it. I worked at a state owned business and they had a 1965 Ford 6 stick sedan that also had the throttle blocked off to 60 MPH max. That was one of the quietest cars I'd ever driven, at least until very modern car of today.

Comment

I would be looking at the carb. linkage. I bet it isn't all the way open when you are at what you think is wide open.

Comment

I agree that car should go 100 to 110.
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Try changing the fuel filter if you haven't already done it. I had an otherwise strong running 429 Mercury station wagon capable of 120 mph get knocked back to a top speed of 50 mph by a clogged fuel filter.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                  I would be looking at the carb. linkage. I bet it isn't all the way open when you are at what you think is wide open.
                  I agree to check for wide open throttle. On my last drive, just before road salt hit the streets, my 50 Champion throttle was catching on the edge of my heat shield plate, so it would only open half way, and for those who think the stock Champion is a dog, you should have driven this. LOL

That mention of the plugged fuel filter is another good possibility.

Comment

Working...
                  X