Top Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Top Speed

Mt Sky Hawk tops out at about 75mph. Not that I want to go any faster, but I'm curious to know why a lightweight car with a 289ci engine with Flight-O-Matic won't do more. Rear end is original 3.31.
    peter lee

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
    Mt Sky Hawk tops out at about 75mph. Not that I want to go any faster, but I'm curious to know why a lightweight car with a 289ci engine with Flight-O-Matic won't do more. Rear end is original 3.31.
    You have a problem~! My Avanti had a 289 and a 3.73:1 rear and would run WELL over 110 mph. You're going to need a good diagnostician to run down the problem(s). That engine can't be turning more than 3300RPM's.

Comment

Hi Peter Lee,

Much more info needed.

Got a tach ?

What is limiting top speed?
      Crazy revs? Maybe it's stuck in second.

Power just fades away, or starts to miss?
      A real tune up, including testing the fuel delivery volume and pressure at the carb might be revealing.

What happens when the throttle is opened wide at 60 mph?

regards,

Dan T

Comment

First check linkage for wide open throttle. Carpet or floor mat holding pedal back, linkage adjustment or non-functioning secondaries if it's a four barrel.
        Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Yes, in moderately good engine condition, the Sky Hawk with auto is a 100-110 MPH car. (Yes, we've heard your story of pulling away from that '57 Chevy at 125 in second gear.)

In addition to the other suggestions, use a GPS with the MPH function. The condition and accuracy of a sixty-year-old speedometer is usually suspect.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

No tach, no crazy revs, not stuck in second. Pedal to floor, keeps running. Carb rebuilt 8 years ago when car was restored. I don't do that much highway driving, so cruising at 60-65 is perfectly fine. No money for fixes, anyway. Thanks.
            peter lee

Comment

When my dad was a mechanic at a school bus garage during the 1950s-70s, the school board bought new, a yellow, early 1950s Chevy pickup. Upon taking delivery of the truck, the bus garage's head mechanic welded a bolt under the gas pedal, to limit high gear speed to 35 MPH. That truck stayed in service till the late 1970s, and rolled many hundreds of thousands of miles, all at 35 MPH or less.

Any chance your car was bought new by a school board? Was it originally school bus yellow? Looked under the gas pedal for a bolt welded in place? Other than that-based on what you have told us-I have no clue why it will only go 75 MPH.

Comment

As has been said, verify that the carburetor is opening all the way.
                Weak valve springs.
                Weak fuel pump.
                Restriction in the fuel system.
                Valves requiring adjustment.
                Are all other reasons your car might not be running right.
                My ol Lark wagon will to around 110mph. At least it did a few years back out in the open of lower Central CA.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                  When my dad was a mechanic at a school bus garage during the 1950s-70s, the school board bought new, a yellow, early 1950s Chevy pickup. Upon taking delivery of the truck, the bus garage's head mechanic welded a bolt under the gas pedal, to limit high gear speed to 35 MPH. That truck stayed in service till the late 1970s, and rolled many hundreds of thousands of miles, all at 35 MPH or less.
                  Thats a great Story Joe, I had to laugh because I know that is about the ONLY way you could get a 1940's to 1953 Chev. Blue Flame 6 to survive for long with NO Oil Pump, and Poured Rod Bearings with no inserts!
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

If all else is OK, MPG, heat, oil mileage, etc., maybe just leave it alone, drive & enjoy it. The 75MPH would take care of about 99.9 percent of driving needs for most of us

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
                      No tach, no crazy revs, not stuck in second. Pedal to floor, keeps running. Carb rebuilt 8 years ago when car was restored. I don't do that much highway driving, so cruising at 60-65 is perfectly fine. No money for fixes, anyway. Thanks.
                      Mr Lee , could you at least do us the favor , for instance , of going out there and checking to see if the throttle is being
                      opened all the way ? That certainly is cost free , and since people have taken the effort to try to answer your
                      question , why not do that ?
                      Bill H
                      Daytona Beach
                      SDC member since 1970
                      Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

Originally posted by shifter4 View Post
                        Mr Lee , could you at least do us the favor , for instance , of going out there and checking to see if the throttle is being
                        opened all the way ? That certainly is cost free , and since people have taken the effort to try to answer your
                        question , why not do that ?
                        Why should we care, more than the OP cares, about this issue with HIS car? If its working for him...

Comment

You're going to have to check a lot of basics: fuel delivery, carburation, engine vacuum, spark, ignition wires, and compression. IF you can find a serious mechanic, and be prepared to pay him for a couple hours of his time, he will be able to run down your problems. Regardless of whether you want to drive over 75mph or not, your engine will run a lot longer and a lot smoother if it is brought back to health. Stock Studebaker engines are not high reving motors, but I remember when the mechanic checked out my 17,000 mile Avanti before I bought it in 1966. He cranked it up over 5500 rpms in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and pronounced it to be a 'good one'. Scared me to death. You may have to find an 'old timer', but there are plenty of young 'gear heads' who are into carbureted engines who know what they are doing.
                          You didn't mention how many miles were on the car~! I'd advise going to several car shows in the area and talking to some of the owners. You'll find someone who can help you.

Comment

Add new Cap,rotor,points and condenser, set to the correct dwell. Ensure that exhaust block off flap, just below the passenger side exhaust is opening up all the way. Pull plugs and do a compression test. Sounds like the Cadilladic Converter is stopped up. LOL
                            My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
                            sigpic
                            Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
                            in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

The OP posted twice here, a total of eight lines. He never once identified the issue as a problem, rather a curiosity. He also said in his second post, 60-65 is, "just fine" with him. Yet we dog pile here with a, "please let us help you fix it" approach.

I do not see a safety issue here, so why not let the man enjoy his car, as is. If he does not think there is a problem, there is no problem
                              Last edited by JoeHall; 05-15-2016, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X