1940 Flat Head Freeze Plug Came Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1940 Flat Head Freeze Plug Came Out

Hey Guys. Had a new freeze plug come out while driving down the road yesterday. They all were just recently replaced. What's the trick to installing these the correct way. Thanks as always!!

I've always relied on a proper, well-centered whack with a flat-faced hammer; occasionally a second whack; but never enough to concave it. Needless to say, a clean orifice to begin with.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

There's really no "trick" for installing the plugs. Like most of the things we do, there is a technique perfected by experience, and skill. Oh...a little luck helps too. Like rockne10 says, a clean surface, get the plug spaced even/flat, and use enough force to spread it to seal. I have had good success using two ball pien hammers. I center the ball end against the plug with one hammer, and give it a whack with the other. Sometimes, especially with an engine installed in the vehicle, there's not enough room. I have also used a socket against the plug and hit it with a hammer. Not my best option because of the hammer blow proximity to fingers

If it's any comfort though, I can tell you that the supposedly, professional, trained "union certified" workers don't get it right either. Years ago, my wife had probably one of the most elegant cars Chrysler produced in the modern era. I forget exactly what year, but it was one of those New Yorker models with the flip up headlights. Had probably the most comfortable leather seats ever. Snow white with red interior. Anyway, on a cold winter Saturday morning, I started the car to warm the engine, and walked to the road for the morning paper. As I came back up the driveway, I saw liquid pouring from under the car. I quickly jumped in and cut the engine off. To my horror, it was "OIL" not water spilling from the engine and pooling on the concrete. Instead of a water jacket freeze plug, it was the soft plug supposed to seal the camshaft!

When I carried the plug to the local Chrysler dealer, almost as quick as I showed it to the guy at the parts counter, he reached down and handed me a couple of new plugs. Apparently, they had so many to fail, that he was ready for anyone coming in with the complaint. In fact, he gave me the parts in a little plastic bag and said there was no charge! And, stated..."Happens a lot." Then he added, "If you want, we can tow it in and repair it for you."

MY reply..."No thanks, I'd rather do it right!!
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
      X