63 Daytona wants to die when put in gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 63 Daytona wants to die when put in gear

I purchased a 63 Daytona in Florida and had it shipped to Wisconsin. I can't get the car to run correctly, it will idle great in park but once I drop it into gear it wants to die. I can crank the idle up in order to pull it n and out of the garage but I cannot drive it very far that way. The car has a 170 6 cylinder with a Petronix ignition. According to the prior owner the Carb was just replaced, however I am beginning to wonder if it is the correct one for the car? Any Help Would be appreciated, I have had several weekends of frustration trying to get this thing to run right!
    sigpic
    1956 Commander parts car
    1953 Commander Coupe
    1965 Commander 4-Door w/14,000 original miles
    1956 President Classic
    1963 Daytona Convertible

Start with the basics-check for vacuum leaks at base of carb-last thing off and on-make sure vacuum advance hose is connected and not cracked, Check timing is set correctly per the manual, and dwell. Does it run ok otherwise? The correct or incorrect one will have little to do with stalling going from neutral to drive, either the timing is not catching up quick enough for the load, or the carb metering rod/jet is not compensating fast enough, a kicker (looks like a dash pot with a vacuum hose going to it) not working (if one is on your combination) or a vacuum leak. Others will chime in with more specific suggestions.

Comment

The car starts and idles great until it is put into gear, then it just wants to die. I have checked the base gasket on the carb, as well as a new vacuum lines with no change.
      sigpic
      1956 Commander parts car
      1953 Commander Coupe
      1956 President Classic
      1963 Daytona Convertible

Comment

The original carb for your car is a Carter 32 RBS. It has a bad reputation but I managed to make mine working fairly well, after spending a lot of time to understand how it works though. As the pump jet is very tiny and has a tendancy to get clogged, I think I would start by having a look there. When actuating the throttle, you should see the gasoline squirting from the jet.
        sigpic

Comment

bubbastude;
          At the correct idle speed for a 6 cylinder; once the engine is warmed up, you should be able to put it in gear and the car should just sit there and the engine should keep running.
          Now for the question; with the engine warmed and the idle speed increased how many RPM does the engine drop. Subtract the RPM drop from the normal idle speed and that is about the speed you are asking the engine to run at. Too much of a drop and the engine will not stay running.
          Next question is why; too much drag by the torque converter; worn out engine; timing not correct?
          I believe that if a engine idles correctly;in most cases the carburatore is doing its job.
          To my way of thinking you are not getting enough power out of the engine.
          Ron

Comment

Put a vacuum guage on that puppy and let us know what you find. Doofus

Comment

I am not exactly sure the correct place to hook the vacuum gauge up on this engine. I hooked it inline between the carb and vacuum advance, at where I feel the car should idle (no tach) it reads 10. at a slightly elevated idle it reads 15. The carb that is on it is a Carter w8-176.
              sigpic
              1956 Commander parts car
              1953 Commander Coupe
              1956 President Classic
              1963 Daytona Convertible

Comment

I would think a reasonably tuned engine would pull 17 - 18 inches at idle. Check the point gap - check for distributor advance (more is better) - check for vacuum leaks. Adjust for the highest vacuum reading.

Comment

Check for vacuum leaks at manifold to head also tight valves will cause this, how does it respond revving up in neutral, doggy? might be time to check tune up items. Luck Doofus

Comment

The distributer has a Petronix kit in it, so has no points. I will play with it further tonight after work.
                    sigpic
                    1956 Commander parts car
                    1953 Commander Coupe
                    1956 President Classic
                    1963 Daytona Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
                      Check for vacuum leaks at manifold to head also tight valves will cause this, how does it respond revving up in neutral, doggy? might be time to check tune up items. Luck Doofus
                      The car revs up great and runs well in neutral, I have put plugs wires cap and rotor on it already. Could the Petronix module be bad?
                      sigpic
                      1956 Commander parts car
                      1953 Commander Coupe
                      1956 President Classic
                      1963 Daytona Convertible

Comment

Is the spring on your points weak? Sometime people think the copper strap is the spring when it should be spring steel.

Comment

Originally posted by Son O Lark View Post
                          Is the spring on your points weak? Sometime people think the copper strap is the spring when it should be spring steel.
                          Pertronix unit installed-no points.

Comment

Originally posted by bubbastude View Post
                            The car revs up great and runs well in neutral, I have put plugs wires cap and rotor on it already. Could the Petronix module be bad?
                            Not likely the cause. How does it actually run in gear-on the road-not at idle in neutral, keeping it running as you get it in gear by pressing the gas pedal to keep it running??
                            Have you checked the exhaust pipe to make sure there isn't a major obstruction? Rats nest, collapsed internal muffler baffles, stuck heat riser valve???
                            Last edited by karterfred88; 05-17-2016, 09:15 AM.

Comment

It seams to run ok, until you slow to a stop. plenty of exhaust comes out. I'm not familiar with the heat riser is that below the carb?
                              sigpic
                              1956 Commander parts car
                              1953 Commander Coupe
                              1956 President Classic
                              1963 Daytona Convertible

Comment

Working...
                              X