Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Studebaker change internal cooling design for 57 Golden Hawk A2-7A transmission?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Did Studebaker change internal cooling design for 57 Golden Hawk A2-7A transmission?

Hi,
    I have a 57 Golden Hawk with the short-tail Heavy-Duty oil-cooler equipped Borg-Warner Automatic.

I Just noticed this photo while perusing the '57 Shop manual supplement (and having just obtained an original set of tranny cooling lines between radiator and tranny! Lucky me!)

Curious; comparing the shop manual (which is pointing out the addition of a cooling return line for the tranny oil in the heavy-duty supercharged Golden Hawk transmission, it is different than mine (also shown after I completed rebuilding it).

MINE has a line that I'm GUESSING is the oil return line but completely different routing. (this tubing is NOT in the Shop manual sketch).

Now, my tranny is NOT original to the the vehicle (last owner stuck a standard Borg-Warner in there....). I searched and found what I'm ALMOST sure is the correct A2-7A (matches rebuild comments like wider band, "white spring" and correct valve ID numbers, etc..) and all photos in every way BUT this cooling return line.
    AND, while the tranny plate ID number/stamp is no longer readable , it still has the 'pinkish-gold' paint left on the label which would be correct for the A2-7A 57 Golden Hawk tranny, per Shop Manual.

Anyone recognize this as a known Stude design change sometime after the manual was printed, OR is it possible (even though I DO have the 57 'short tail', correct spring colors and such), that this is for the later GT Hawks or something?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bsrosell; 05-08-2016, 03:27 PM.

Wifes 57 Silver hawk has long tail HD unit and return oil sprays directly onto rear band. Luck Doofus

Comment

Thanks Doofus; what I'm really wondering then is what mine SHOULD be; comparing the shop manual illustration to my tranny photo, there is a large hole in upper left in shop manual for that 'return line"; that does not exist in my casting, so not that the tube 'got left out' by an earlier mechanic's rebuild. In mine, there is an extra (vs shop manual) line coming across the top (from where to where I don't remember; been four years since I rebuilt it, first thing I did in the restoration... most fun, couldn't wait!

So, Considering I'm not planning on driving her hard and 99% of the Stude tranny's didn't even have the 'cooling' feature, I'm not worried about it, but curious from the authenticity AND just 'why is MINE different" perspective?? Like I said in original post, EVERYTHING I could match to photos in the '57 supplement say mine is the A2-7A tranny; extra oil holes in shaft, wider band, white spring, correct ID numbers on valves and 'different hole" in a valve plate......, this is the one thing that doesn't match the photos, and I'd like to know why....... Shoot, maybe mine is an EARLY version of the A2-7A and the shop manual supplement shows an 'improved' version to get the oil directly to that band...... Thanks for the reply! (and confirmation of what your Silver Hawk has)
      Barry

Comment

The 1957 and earlier cars all had the two piece drive shaft and the short transmission.

Comment

There was a new separator plate (#1542984) and valve block assembly (#1542992) released late in 1956 for '57 models. All '57 G Hawk transmissions were equipped with the new part. It was intended to cure a 'no reverse when hot' condition.
          This information is in Service Letter #938, Nov.15, 1956. The pic is from an installation instruction sheet for updating an earlier car with the new valve body.

Click image for larger version

Name:	valve.block.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	1705282
          AL SORAN RACING

Comment

What seems odd to me is that we know Both Cooling lines Enter/Exit through the RIGHT side of the case just above the Pan, but in these bottom views of your Trans. I see NONE headed that direction!

Maybe you have H.D. components in a Standard Case?
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
              There was a new separator plate (#1542984) and valve block assembly (#1542992) released late in 1956 for '57 models. All '57 G Hawk transmissions were equipped with the new part. It was intended to cure a 'no reverse when hot' condition.
              This information is in Service Letter #938, Nov.15, 1956. The pic is from an installation instruction sheet for updating an earlier car with the new valve body.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53931[/ATTACH]
              Yep; just checked my photos of disassembled tranny, and my separator plate does have that notch. I recall reading this in the Shop manual or service bulletins (or both?) at the time, too, when I was anxiously comparing every part to confirm I had the correct tranny for my Golden Hawk....

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                What seems odd to me is that we know Both Cooling lines Enter/Exit through the RIGHT side of the case just above the Pan, but in these bottom views of your Trans. I see NONE headed that direction!

Maybe you have H.D. components in a Standard Case?
                Fortunately no; here is photo of the tranny when I bought it; my friend removed it FROM a Golden Hawk engine (he didn't need the tranny); and, the cooling fittings and piping are obviously there. (and, I won't bother posting the photos but this tranny has two large holes inside the casting in opposite corners, where-as the "wrong" Ford-o-matic tranny that came in my car (same as standard Stude tranny) doesn't have either the fittings or those large holes in the casting.
                Oh well, wish I knew the engine number of that other Golden Hawk, if VERY EARLY so connections for the cooler were different? (my engine is Oct '56 so that would be super appropriate! :-) That would be nice. :-)
                Since Doofus's '57 Silver Hawk looks like the shop manual drawing, that is likely the most common (if not only) configuration, but not sure how to explain mine then except, odd.
                Attached Files

Comment

I agree with Rich.....HD parts in a standard case.

(Should look like this one)
                  Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090033.jpg
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1705287Click image for larger version

Name:	AS2-7A housing P1030014.jpg
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	1705288here's my housing on the left, and the housing next to it on the right is the Ford-o-matic that came in the car (I rebuilt both of them; fun for me and good comparison to have side by side). Note those two big holes in the case, in opposite corners, in what I think is the correct Golden Hawk tranny; maybe all I'm missing (if missing anything and not a short-lived transition version?) is the pipe over to the band? Also note the two fittings and busted cooling lines shown in the photo in my reply to Rich...... Definitely cooled tranny, and all the right valve and spring components, label color (too bad ID stamp is illegible) and off a Golden Hawk engine... Puzzling to me.

Comment

FYI the wifes 57 has a HD long tail trans. i rebuilt it as she likes to Drive that puppy. i switched to a one peice drive shaft as i'm getting older and the ground is harder than it used to be. as an aside after a 40 mile run you could comfortably hold your hand on the after market trans cooler in front of the rad. Doofus

Comment

OK, went out to the shop and compared my 'new' set of Stude cooling lines to my tranny (sitting on a bench yet), and match perfectly with my cooling connections. And per photos I posted above, the ONLY thing I can see that is different than Shop Manual or SN-60's post is that MY "oil return" orifice in the casting is on the opposite corner AND has no tube to dump on directly on the band... seems to be all plumbed internal to the casting. Any thoughts on this? Anyone ever seen what a heavy duty AMC "FMX"(?) or another "oil-cooled" tranny case looks like, where that slight difference would be explained? I'm sure it will work as-is, I'm just kind of curious now if it is THE original Golden Hawk A2-7A or if it is a very close cousin or earlier/later tweak to it. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X