No announcement yet.

Steering Column lengths, Boxes, & Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only the '61-'64 Convertibles and '63-'66 Wagonaires' with Manual Steering have the Low Ratio, Slow and easy to turn Box, all the rest '61-'66; Standard and Power, have the slightly quicker Ratio.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Any good machine shop could re-spline the steering wheel or make an adapter for it. Might be a better way to go then splicing a steering shaft. I've walked into many machine shops with a big problem only to have them provide a simple solution based on experience and past applications.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Only the '61-'64 Convertibles and '63-'66 Wagonaires' with Manual Steering have the Low Ratio, Slow and easy to turn Box, all the rest '61-'66; Standard and Power, have the slightly quicker Ratio.
        Good info, thanks! Were those listed Ross boxes, or did Saginaw come in different ratios?
        -------------------
        Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Are all models the same length?
          -------------------
          Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
            I've walked into many machine shops with a big problem only to have them provide a simple solution based on experience and past applications.
            Yes. Being open to an outside-the-box solution is always better than insisting on doing something the first way that comes into your mind.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I have put in a later Lark Saginaw recirculating ball steering box on a 53 Commander. No problems, used the whole shebang wiring for turnsignal and everything. All that has to be mdified it the reach rod from the pitman arm to the bellcrank. There is info on a similar conversion as done by others on Bob Johnstones excellent website. You don't have to keep the original wheel as in this article. I didn't and it was fine using the 63 column and wheel.
              http://www.studebaker-info.org/TW/tw1098/tw1098p28.html
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Since you have a 5-speed, consider a later Hawk 4-speed column and a non-dished wheel with adapter. Still a Ross box, though.

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                  I have put in a later Lark Saginaw recirculating ball steering box on a 53 Commander. No problems, used the whole shebang wiring for turnsignal and everything. All that has to be mdified it the reach rod from the pitman arm to the bellcrank. There is info on a similar conversion as done by others on Bob Johnstones excellent website. You don't have to keep the original wheel as in this article. I didn't and it was fine using the 63 column and wheel.
                  http://www.studebaker-info.org/TW/tw1098/tw1098p28.html
                  Thanks! Great article - it references a "reach rod" and says the Lark one is too short, but a Hawk one will be close. Which rod is that? At first I thought they were talking about the pitman arm, but do they mean the rod from the pitman arm to the center pivot?
                  -------------------

Comment

Yes. There should be plenty around, but if you can't find one, they are simple to make out of some steel tubing.

Comment

Working...
                    X