Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bensherb
    replied
    My '62 has no bracket and I could see no place one could be mounted on the steering box. It would have to reach way forward to make any attempt to keep the hoses away from the exhaust, even then I doubt it could. Perhaps that bracket is only on cars with standard manifolds? Mine has an R1 in it with the Iron "Y" headers.

Anybody have a picture of this bracket and spring?

Leave a comment:

• 56GH
    replied
    Don't know if this helps or not, but a hose let go on my 1964 Cruiser P/S due to chafing and I had a local industrial hose outfit make up a custom hose with fittings for me. They were able to spiral wrap the outside of the hose in stainless steel wire to prevent any further chafing.

Leave a comment:

• gthawkr2
    replied
    Thanks I had seen that tab when I rebuilt the Ross box. Now I should be able figure out some way to hanger the hoses. Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    They should go high, and there is a bracket on the steering box, that a hose covered spring attaches to, It loops around the hoses, and holds them away from the exhaust.

Leave a comment:

• bensherb
    replied
    Originally posted by gthawkr2 View Post
    Putting new hoses on the Steering and not sure on routing. I took good pictures of control valve and cylinder so I am good there bu did not pay attention to routing of pressure and return line. Do they go under the motor mount next to reach for or above the mount? I have the 90 degree bend facing the radiator. Looks like a lot of drag if above.

Appreciate the help.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "next to reach for"; but, "do they go under the motor mount or above the mount" I understand.

I have the same question, but I can tell you the hoses on my car, '62 GT, are currently routed above the engine mount. I got the car from a family friend so I know they've been that way for at least 20 years, and they were wrapped in asbestos cloth when I got it. I had the return line break last summer so the asbestos went bye bye, and I wrapped a piece of a Prestone bottle around the hoses to keep them from chaffing on the bolts in the engine mount. At a full lock turn they can contact the exhaust manifold on occasion. I'm not a big fan of the tight bends they're forced into while turning either. I plan to replace all the hoses when I get a chance and will check if there is enough hose length to fit below the engine mount and still move completely without interference, if so I might run them below the mount. That way the hoses will make a looser and be away from the exhaust manifold too.

Leave a comment:

• gthawkr2
    replied
    Here you go. Pic of control valve.Click image for larger version

Name:	Control Valve.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	1705239

Leave a comment:

• kmul221
    replied
    Would appreciate a photo of routing as I want to replace my hoses & didn't pay attention during removale

Leave a comment:

• gthawkr2
    started a topic Steering: PS Hose Routing 62 GT

PS Hose Routing 62 GT

Putting new hoses on the Steering and not sure on routing. I took good pictures of control valve and cylinder so I am good there bu did not pay attention to routing of pressure and return line. Do they go under the motor mount next to reach for or above the mount? I have the 90 degree bend facing the radiator. Looks like a lot of drag if above.

Appreciate the help.
Working...
X