No announcement yet.

Timing marks !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I put the head back on and buttoned it all up.
    It runs much much better although smokes a fair bit, but for the moment I`m putting that down to stuck rings as was # 3 inlet valve that needed the head pulling to correct in the first place.
    As to the damper it is still way way off and even putting the spark sensor clamp of the strobe timing light on every lead the timing marks are nowhere to be seen.
    So somethings amiss there.
    The Dizzy is not The one listed for a 51 Champion it`s a IAT4010
    I also note on page 18 in the engine section of the Manual that all the champion motors use the same damper with the exception of the timing marks !!!!!!
    So after reading that it may well be the wrong damper fitted.
    From a Truck maybe ???
    Or an earlier Champion ?
    I can`t believe the hub is not fully on due to the Woodruff key being kicked up as in pic 3 on my post #9 the dowels look to far into the ring meaning it can`t be kicked up,but it`s certainly possible for the crank bolt to be loose enough for the dowels not to protrude enough.
    Altair,
    As I understand the damper assembly it is sandwiched between the hub and the crank bolt,if the bolt was loose then the dowels may not protrude enough for the lock plate to locate
    But the position of the Rotor/Dizzy or even the oil pump would not alter the damper position in regard to the crank shaft.
    You can clearly see in post #9 that the #1 piston is at the top of it`s bore.
    In that position the timing marks should be by the pointer regardless of where the valves are !!!
    And they are not, the marks are the opposite bottom side of the motor.
    I will pull the rad out and take the damper apart to investigate what is going on there.
    But for a 65 year old motor anythings possible to make me pull my hair out !!! lol
    Geoff

Comment

Well what a previous poster said couldn`t be done never understood the ability of a previous owner !!!!!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1459.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	1705241
      The hole almost at 6 O,clock gives it away I would say !!
      It`s been put on without any regard to the slight offset
      No wonder my timing marks are absent from it`s pointer !!!! lol
      will be ordering new cushions in the morning
      Geoff

Comment

I guess somebody thought close enough was good enough. I can't believe that somebody could assemble an engine in this manner. The assembly of the front end is so basic, either it fits or it doesn't. You should be able to pull the damper and re-position it in the proper holes and it will all line up. The oil pump has nothing to do with the damper position, however can affect the ignition timing. I am happy you found the problem, good luck Dave.

Comment

Thanks Dave,
          Nothing surprises me these days what previous owners manage to do.
          Best part is that the two bolt lock plate wasn`t even peened over to lock the crank bolt !!!!!!
          But it sure will once the new cushions arrive
          Thanks everyone for all the help, info and suggestions.
          That`s whats so fun being on this Forum
          Geoff

Comment

Hi ! I'm putting a 49 champ 170 back together ,on mine the metal pointer that points at the damper is bent
            I'd like to mark a TDC on it with some paint or something ,I have the head off so I can see the valves and Pistons :
            can I line up 1 cylinder to cylinder up ,valves closed and then mark where the pointer is pointed to the damper or is it more complicated than that?

Comment

Yes That will give you TDC
              Geoff
              Last edited by fiveftsix; 05-14-2016, 05:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
              X