R2 Head casting numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: R2 Head casting numbers

I have a friend looking for a head for his R2 engine. I am going through my sets of heads and wanting to know which heads were specific to the R2 engines? Thanks. Bruce
    1958 Transtar 3E6-122
    1958 Transtar 3E13-31
    1959 Transtar 4E7-122
    1959 Lark 2 door Wagon
    1960 Transtar 5E28-171
    1960 Lark Gasser
    1963 Daytona

A simple Google search for " Studebaker V8 cylinder heads " will give you this http://studebaker-info.org/text3/Headcasting.html

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

And its nice that these are the same as most of the heads you'll find on 63 and 64 trucks. Cuz they're the low compression heads to compensate for the increase from the supercharger. So don't over pay just cuz they belong to an R2. They are more common that many folks know.
      sals54

Comment

Yes, to being used on trucks.

No, to being common any longer. Since a hard-used R2 will crack these thinner castings, they're getting scarce up here. FWIW, I built a set and sent them to France for one of the few R2s still extant there.

I've got only one pair on the shelf at present, versus many of the earlier and R1 castings.

EDIT - just sold these R2 heads in less 30 minutes of posting I had them. The R2 owner's heads were cracked beyond repair.

jack vines
        Last edited by PackardV8; 05-06-2016, 02:51 PM.
        PackardV8

Comment

I do not believe the 1557582 was ever used on Trucks.

I show the 1557580 as the Jet Thrust Lark/Hawk Engine 9.0 to 1 Cyl. Head, but it is not a Truck Head as some people think.

It is just very similar to the Part Number 536097 > 7.5 to one Truck Head, or the export Truck Head 536790, either of which would work fine on R2 to produce about 9.0-9.5 Comp. with Flat Top Avanti Pistons for a Paxton equipped Engine. (Source: 1962 7E Truck Parts Catalog.)

These Heads used on trucks were also used back to '55 or '56 for Export Cars and many WERE in S/B stock at the Factory closing and well after, if the Australians have not gobbled them all up by now, there should be some still around.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Rich
            582 heads are very common in Australia, you can't give them away.
            pb

Comment

Originally posted by 63r2 View Post
              Rich
              582 heads are very common in Australia, you can't give them away.pb
              OK, that 1557582 must be the Casting number for the 1557580 Part Number R2 Head.
              Doesn't anyone UNDER there, run a Supercharger?
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

[QUOTE=StudeRich
                Doesn't anyone UNDER there, run a Supercharger? [/QUOTE]

I think a couple of them might!!

Comment

I had the 582 heads on the 289 in my 64 Champ truck. I bought the truck from the original owner who never did any major work to the engine. I replaced them with a pair of 570 heads when I rebuilt the engine. Bud

Comment

Just checked and my '64 champ 259 has the 582 heads on it.
                    Rob

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      OK, that 1557582 must be the Casting number for the 1557580 Part Number R2 Head.
                      Doesn't anyone UNDER there, run a Supercharger?
                      from a statistical sample size of one, ordinary OZ 1963 Hawks with the P engine numbers (all?) came with the 1557582 casting number heads. Got 2 sets in my shed as a cunning investment plan ha ha.....maybe in 20 years when they become unobtanium in the US it will be worth the freight for US R2 owners!

Comment

Your friend may want to think about taking a 1557570 head (R1/289std) and cleaning up the chamber riding it of sharp edges and such.

It will not take long to go from 54cc to 67cc.

Afterwards you have a better running head that is less likely to crack as the 1557582 head. I'm running the 570s on my R2 Build.

Comment

Working...
                        X