No announcement yet.

odometer doesn't work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: odometer doesn't work.

The odometer that came with my Champ didn't work at all. The used replacement that I got only has the 1/10 wheel spinning around. Is this common with Champ and early Lark speedos? Or is it something that just happens with 50+ year old cars.
    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

I know of no chronic problems with them. I have a '61 Champ and the odometer still works great.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Definitely sounds like an internal wear problem inside your Speedometer. The most common problem is not this, usually they just totally Quit, both Odometer and Speedometer.

The Cold weather your original has been exposed to, is very bad for them. The Lube will thicken and seize Parts inside.

There are Brand New NOS Speedometers available for '61,'62, 63 and '64-'66 Larks and Lark Types, but no '59 or '60 Lark.
      If I had to guess I would say the number of Champ Trucks still running, plus the fact that all '60-'64's get the same one, in addition to the '59-'60 Larks, has killed the supply NOS '60 Lark Speedos about 15-18 Years ago.

I have seen Larks or Champs with the Dash Holes reamed out to except the '61 to '66 Speedo AND Instrument Cluster size!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have a '63 parts Lark. From some modest research, I've heard that that Speedo is 4.5" in diameter up front, but somehow fits in a 3-7/8" hole. Plus the late Lark cluster with the four gauges is supposed to be 4.5" diameter on both sides, so it would take some drilling or nibbling.

I was wondering if that whole funky '63 Brook Stevens dash with the funky vanity would transplant. But I'm a little intimidated by all the over-involvement of this sort of project if it did fit.
        1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
        1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
        1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
        1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
        1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
        1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Remember the Chrome Bezel OD is larger than the Hole required for the Speedo Case. The '61-'66 Barely fits.

The Late '55 to '58 Sedan/Wagon Car and '59-'60 Lark Dash will fit, but there is no chance of a '63-'66 working without re-shaping the whole thing.

It would be a big enough job just replacing a dash, but I don't think you are ready to "BUILD" one!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Doug, Yes the 63 - 66 Car Gauges will fit "tight squeeze" into the Champ Cluster Panel. besides making the original holes larger,You WILL need to make shims "about 1/8" to maybe 3/16" thick so the Gauges sit level and flat across the span. I've installed 64 Lark types in My 63 Champ and love the looks, that greenish Color does some thing for Me,and getting rid of the idiot Lights was My choice. Years ago I actually took a stock Champ Dash,and Fabricated Sheet Metal Panels Welded directly in place. this allowed Me to mount just the 64 Lark type Gauges and Cluster Panel in place - and then I grafted a Vanity out of the same 64 Lark type into the Champ Dash,this was certainly a one of a kind.

Originally posted by DougHolverson View Post
            I have a '63 parts Lark. From some modest research, I've heard that that Speedo is 4.5" in diameter up front, but somehow fits in a 3-7/8" hole. Plus the late Lark cluster with the four gauges is supposed to be 4.5" diameter on both sides, so it would take some drilling or nibbling.

I was wondering if that whole funky '63 Brook Stevens dash with the funky vanity would transplant. But I'm a little intimidated by all the over-involvement of this sort of project if it did fit.
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
            X