Brain pick .... need an R3 Purist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Brain pick .... need an R3 Purist

Can anyone advise on what type air cleaner was used in the R3 (grille mount) system. Was it the GT Hawk style with the sealed end and square stack or the Avanti style with the open ended elements?

thx
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

If it is for an R3 Avanti, it is a special one-off one with different mounting brackets than any other, we have one somewhere, I don't remember which shape you are talking about that it is though.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      If it is for an R3 Avanti, it is a special one-off one with different mounting brackets than any other, we have one somewhere, I don't remember which shape you are talking about that it is though.
      I have 2 photos of these, on is R-4442, which has a 'dealer installed' R3 induction system. It shows the air cleaner as the Avanti R2 style with a large mounting bracket that fastens to the lower corner of the radiator core support. The air cleaner body is almost touching the grille and obviously the cleaner elements are exposed.... ok

The other photo is of an R3 car which belongs to a long revered and fastidiously correct owner (no names here) whose car shows a GT Hawk style cleaner body, mounted higher up on the core support and the air cleaner snorkel pointing straight up to the apex of the radiator plenum. No where near the grille. Adequate maybe, but methinks it's a bit of a crappy position to pull air thru..

My question stems from an effort to make an R3 style air cleaner system to get away from that under hood heat. R2's have a pretty tough induction environment with the air cleaner being cooked in its current position.
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

[QUOTE=64V-K7;

My question stems from an effort to make an R3 style air cleaner system to get away from that under hood heat. R2's have a pretty tough induction environment with the air cleaner being cooked in its current position.[/QUOTE]

I agree, and have often thought of doing the same.....but I just can't bring myself to hack into the fiberglass inner skirt!!

Comment

While not an answer to the question...does the R3 air cleaner provide any protection against water ingestion from that low mounting? It just seems a hydro-locked engine is a real possibility with that setup without some protection against it.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

The FACTORY correct is a sealed end with a rectangular snorkle pointing up. Looks like tar or chassis black was brushed over the lower 1/2 so as not to be to noticeable through the grill. It would be a hard time for water to get into the opening.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
            X