Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surfpilot
    replied
    I take mine out with a drill bit (by hand). I think it's a 1/4'' bit that fits nice and snug into that plunger and pulls it out every time.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    There is a Shop in the L.A. basin I think it was Gardena, called Tap-X they have a Mobile and a Shop Laser that can burn a Bolt or Plug out without touching the Block or Head.
    They do amazing work, I had them save a Stude. V8 Cylinder Head for me by burning out a Water Manifold Screw.

Leave a comment:

• spokejr
    replied
    Originally posted by doofus View Post
    Weld a nut to this non-budging plug, wait a few minutes then it will come loose, if your weld held. Luck Doofus
    I have the same problem but there's hardly any plug above the block, last guy there really ran it in deep! I wonder if driving a piece of hex stock and brazing it in will work? Twisted off both of the water drain plugs on the side of the block as well. Those two I may leave as is.

Leave a comment:

• doofus
    replied
    Weld a nut to this non-budging plug, wait a few minutes then it will come loose, if your weld held. Luck Doofus

Leave a comment:

• 345 DeSoto
    replied
    ROCKNE10 - Got that one out, but the plug in the OTHER oil gallery on the opposite side won't budge...
    Last edited by 345 DeSoto; 05-04-2016, 12:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dwain G.
    replied
    From Bob Johnstone's site.............
    http://www.studebaker-info.org/text3...leryplugs.html

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    It must be removed to properly clean out the oil galleries -- but MORE IMPORTANTLY -- replaced during reassembly. Otherwise you will have no oil pressure at start-up and bad things will happen.

Leave a comment:

• Quentin
    replied
    Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
    Tony,
    You and your machinist are both aware of the pipe plug in the oil galley just under the distributor--yes?
    Scuse my ignorance - Can you please explain what you mean? Is it supposed to be plugged or unplugged? What are the consequences? Cheers, Quentin.

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Tony,
    You and your machinist are both aware of the pipe plug in the oil galley just under the distributor--yes?

Leave a comment:

• 345 DeSoto
    replied
    STUDERICH - The pencil did the trick...slid right out, no gunk.

Leave a comment:

• doofus
    replied
    If its really stuck a little heat on face of block will help and something tapped into the center hole, and lots of carb cleaner and penetrant. Luck Doofus

Leave a comment:

• 3rdGenStude
    replied
    Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
    I finished stripping my block down (289) to take to the Machinist. I removed the plug and pressure relief spring, but I'm wondering if there's something else in there that needs to come out, like a cup or plunger. Thanks, guys...
    I got mine out with a small mechanic's magnet on the end of an extension wand.

Paul

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    After spraying with your favorite lubricant, the taper of a Pencil gently forced into the hole in the center will usually, but not always do the trick depending if it is gunked up badly or not.

Leave a comment:

• 53commander
    replied
    Easy out, PB Blaster and a lot of patience.

Leave a comment:

• 64V-K7
    replied
    If you can find a crochet hook, it will help

Leave a comment:

Working...
X