Oil Pressure Relief Spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Oil Pressure Relief Spring

I finished stripping my block down (289) to take to the Machinist. I removed the plug and pressure relief spring, but I'm wondering if there's something else in there that needs to come out, like a cup or plunger. Thanks, guys...
    Last edited by 345 DeSoto; 05-03-2016, 01:15 PM.

Yes there's plunger in there. They are sometimes ornery to get out, do a forum search on the topic for advice on how to remove. I've had good luck with an easy-out gently tapped into the plunger and then a process of pushing and pulling it back and forth to pull it out of the bore. Recommend using a solvent such as carb cleaner to clean out the bore as there is likely some accumulated gunk in there.
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Thanks, Dan...

Comment

If you can find a crochet hook, it will help
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Easy out, PB Blaster and a lot of patience.

Comment

After spraying with your favorite lubricant, the taper of a Pencil gently forced into the hole in the center will usually, but not always do the trick depending if it is gunked up badly or not.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
              I finished stripping my block down (289) to take to the Machinist. I removed the plug and pressure relief spring, but I'm wondering if there's something else in there that needs to come out, like a cup or plunger. Thanks, guys...
              I got mine out with a small mechanic's magnet on the end of an extension wand.

Paul
              I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
              1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

If its really stuck a little heat on face of block will help and something tapped into the center hole, and lots of carb cleaner and penetrant. Luck Doofus

Comment

STUDERICH - The pencil did the trick...slid right out, no gunk.

Comment

Tony,
                    You and your machinist are both aware of the pipe plug in the oil galley just under the distributor--yes?
                    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10,
                    '51 Commander Starlight,
                    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                      Tony,
                      You and your machinist are both aware of the pipe plug in the oil galley just under the distributor--yes?
                      Scuse my ignorance - Can you please explain what you mean? Is it supposed to be plugged or unplugged? What are the consequences? Cheers, Quentin.

Comment

It must be removed to properly clean out the oil galleries -- but MORE IMPORTANTLY -- replaced during reassembly. Otherwise you will have no oil pressure at start-up and bad things will happen.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

From Bob Johnstone's site.............
                          http://www.studebaker-info.org/text3...leryplugs.html
                          AL SORAN RACING

Comment

ROCKNE10 - Got that one out, but the plug in the OTHER oil gallery on the opposite side won't budge...
                            Last edited by 345 DeSoto; 05-04-2016, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Weld a nut to this non-budging plug, wait a few minutes then it will come loose, if your weld held. Luck Doofus

Comment

Working...
                              X