Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

1953 Commander dash color question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: 1953 Commander dash color question

The dash in my 1953 Commander is two different colors but from what I have read it should all be Loma Grey. Could this be an option or just some custom work when new? I would assume the pin stripping was indeed added on. As far as I know about the history of the car it is all original and it would have been a lot of work to take it out for painting. If it was done later then they did a good job as I don't see any overspray or any other indications.
    Attached Files

The main dash should be Loma Gray (on most cars). The area of the hooded instruments on Commanders was a darker color.
    As you assume, Studebaker did not do the pin striping.

EDIT: The net is; the colors on your dash, excluding the pin stripes, appear correct.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The gauge surrounds were, indeed, charcoal with gold under the hoods. The sheet metal dash in '53, at least in South Bend production, was the Loma Grey; along with window garnish moldings, steering column & shift lever, passenger interior vent door and a number of other little details.

Here's a dead on formula for the Loma Grey.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Loma Grey paint.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1705105
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

The pin striping is also original. The backing should be natural aluminum with the decal type pinstriping. It is very fine and maybe dual or tripple? with a space, then repeating rows?
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Well once again I appreciate the help! Now I can move forward with the interior. Thanks for that paint code too, that will make life easier for sure!

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
            The pin striping is also original. The backing should be natural aluminum with the decal type pinstriping. It is very fine and maybe dual or tripple? with a space, then repeating rows?
            Bez, please elaborate on the pin striping being original. I don't recall ever seeing it before.
            Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
            50 Champion 2 door*
            53 Commander K Auto*
            53 Commander K overdrive*
            55 President Speedster
            62 GT 4Speed*
            63 Avanti R1*
            64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
              The gauge surrounds were, indeed, charcoal with gold under the hoods. The sheet metal dash in '53, at least in South Bend production, was the Loma Grey; along with window garnish moldings, steering column & shift lever, passenger interior vent door and a number of other little details.

Here's a dead on formula for the Loma Grey.
              The painted dash color for most, not all, 1953 C/K models was Loma Gray (GRAY).
              The exception was on Bombay Red cars trimed in Flax vinyl. These cars had Monterey Beige painted metal trim.
              That is why I qualified Loma Gray with "on most cars" in my post #2.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                Bez, please elaborate on the pin striping being original. I don't recall ever seeing it before.
                My early 53 Tri-star had the exact same pin stripping on the metal gauge hood backing. The flat piece where the gold "V" is located.
                I'm not talking about the freehand embellishment on the edge pictured.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Hello, I am in a similar position in researching my 53 Commander, Starliner for restoration.
                  I have an LA car, originally Monterey Beige over Coral Red (painted gray by previous owner 30 years ago). The interior is the Loma gray as discussed.

Name:	IMG_0052.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	1709854
                  My question is in regards to the dash gauge hoods. The gray is a darker warm gray. Any reference to what that color is or is it something I need to have matched?
                  Also the underside it painted gold. Is this the same gold that was used on the wheel centers?
                  The photo referenced to the gauge cluster in the shop manual (body 6, fig 18 & 20) shows the underside of the gauge hoods and they look very shiny (almost reflective).
                  Mine are still gold but very dull.

One more thing since I am thinking of dash related issues:
                  the ashtrays. the one in the dash is pretty corroded inside but the rear one is in nice shape. The rear one looks original and has a grayish color finish inside and out, like zinc or something.
                  Any idea what that is and how I can restore them both to original?

Name:	IMG_1954.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	1709855
                  Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Comment

On my 1950 ashtray, which had some rust, I sandblasted the tray part, then plated it with the Caswell "Copy-Cad" home plating kit. It came out nice, and is actually a zinc plating. I still need to match the dash paint so I can repaint the front of it, as it has a few light scratches.

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                      This picture is of a NOS '53 Commander dash instrument plate showing the pattern Bez is describing.
                      Attached Files
                      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Where did you find an NOS dash instrument plate? Do you have more than one? interested in selling?
                        Any help restoring mine?
                        I am trying to find someone who will restore mine and most dash resto places won't even bid it.
                        One guy who finally did gave me a crazy high price and said he couldn't guarantee it would even look correct.
                        Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Comment

At one point, I fabricated the pin striping on my dash, I first drew the entire dash in AutoCad, put the striping on, Spray painted a couple of sheets of paper silver and printed the striping on the silver paper. It surprised a lot of folks that it was paper, until the humidity got it, and the paper swelled. Bye the way, that piece of metal can be either aluminum or steel. That's why I had to print mine, the aluminum was banged up from in and out, I got a replacement that was steel, rusted. Printed paper did the trick.

Comment

Year-old thread.
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by dneale View Post
                              Where did you find an NOS dash instrument plate? Do you have more than one? interested in selling?
                              Any help restoring mine?
                              I am trying to find someone who will restore mine and most dash resto places won't even bid it.
                              One guy who finally did gave me a crazy high price and said he couldn't guarantee it would even look correct.
                              Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
                              I think I found that one in a dealer's stock that I bought out back in the '70s. It was for my '53 Commander Starliner. I never saw another.
                              When I first did a poor amateur restoration in my '53, it was a daily driver. I had a Navy draftsman who rode with me to and from work (no charge, no obligation). I showed him my pretty rough dash mat and he said I can make that like new. I painted it silver and he used his drafting equipment to line it. Couldn't tell it from new.
                              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                              X