X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rockne10
    replied
    Originally posted by 14x7 View Post
    ... Was there reverse rotation of the engine when cranking ,or running ..?
    Definitely not! But, like most Studes I'm aware of, the distributor does run opposite of other makes.

Leave a comment:

• 14x7
    replied
    KXET , it's not a 6 volt GPS, it's still a 12volt GPS, but they draw micro volts, so you can hook them up to a 6 volt system , just get the coonnections right, and Like Bob Johnson says keep the wires away from other wires ,( something about isolate... the separate currents) I guess. I first heard about this ,cause a guy in the UK has a 49 dodge ,and had the GPS installed on his 6 volt postive ground system.. there are other people on the forum ,who have done this..

Leave a comment:

• kxet
    replied
    6 volt GPS?

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    Prior to 1956, many cars were 6 volt. Some makes were negative ground and some were positive. Studebaker switched from 6v positive ground to 12v negative ground in 1956. Most of the car's systems don't care about which way the electrons flow, but radios and voltage regulators do, and generators have to be told which way to go by polarizing them. Ammeters don't care, but they will read backwards if the negative and positive poles are reversed. It's possible that your car's polarity was reversed some time in the past. If that is the case, just drive it and remember which way it's wired. If the ammeter reads plus when the engine is revved up and the headlights get a bit brighter, you're probably okay.
    Where did you get 6 volt GPS?

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    Prior to 1956, many cars were 6 volt. Some makes were negative ground and some were positive. Studebaker switched from 6v positive ground to 12v negative ground in 1956. Most of the car's systems don't care about which way the electrons flow, but radios and voltage regulators do, and generators have to be told which way to go by polarizing them. Ammeters don't care, but they will read backwards if the negative and positive poles are reversed. It's possible that your car's polarity was reversed some time in the past. If that is the case, just drive it and remember which way it's wired. If the ammeter reads plus when the engine is revved up and the headlights get a bit brighter, you're probably okay.

Leave a comment:

• 14x7
    replied
    Like to bump to top of page... Was there reverse rotation of the engine when cranking ,or running ..? Still ran smooth as a top..

Leave a comment:

• 14x7
    replied
    I do have a new 6 volt altnator for it, but have put off , putting it in.... maybe later this summer...

Leave a comment:

• 14x7
    replied
    Actually my friend replaced the starter motor cable ,and moved the negative cable from the front of the engine to the back of the cylinder head because he didn't like the way studebaker had routed the black cable ( blocking the valve cover) . The car is hardly driven , believe me , 1 or 2 car shows ,,two years ago , not driven last year, when I replace the battery several years ago, the ammeter work, but I didn't know to polarize it... I was looking at the shop manual , a hour ago , and it says 1955 presidents ( all) where postive grounded. So I think the battery should be turned around ,so the negative posts hooks up to the selnoid , and the postive post is grounded... My friend just forgot it was a postive grounded car.. ( and I didn't think to follow - up. Thanks for checking in ...

Leave a comment:

• rstrasser
    replied
    14x7
    If as you say the negative terminal on the battery is connected to the engine block your car is negative ground. It left the factory as a 6 volt positive ground. Someone changed it.
    If you have been driving the car this way and the battery has not gone dead all is right with the car as far as the charging system goes.
    Now for the ammeter. reversing the polarity will not damage the ammeter. Does the needle move.? If the needle deflects in the - direction when the car is running. Then all you need to do is reverse the 2 wires that are on the back of the ammeter.
    I would need more information about how the ammeter is wired to hazard a guess as to what else could be wrong.
    If a generator is keeping the battery charged there is no need to polarize it.
    Ron

Leave a comment:

• 14x7
    replied
    Yes it's still 6 volt ,,, works fine , .... Can't afford that right now..

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    Is your '55 still 6 volt? If it is, definitely consider a 12 volt conversion...it's very easy to accomplish on this model, and you'll be much happier with the car!

Leave a comment:

• 14x7
    replied
    So my battery has been hooked up the wrong way all this time ?? !!!! Have I damaged the ammeter ? Do you think polarizing the thing , the ammeter will work correctly this time ?? Thank you Mike I'm going to start my car tomorrow !!!! The ammeter all this time really didn't budge, and I was polarizing it last couple of years...

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Exactly the opposite. Your positive ground is connected from the battery+ to the block, frame, body shell, dash, etc. As Bob recommends, isolate your GPS directly to the battery.

Leave a comment:

• 14x7
    replied
    So my postive wire goes from the postive post on the battery to the selnoid , and the other side of selnoid goes down to the starter , and my negative goes from negative post of battery to back of the cylinder head ,,, isn't that how it's suppose to go ? My car runs fine ,hook up this way , I polarize the generator , and drive it , ,,,,, is the postive ground somehow hooked up to the selniod ,to create the postive ground? Mike 14x7

Leave a comment:

• 64V-K7
    replied
    On a Positive Ground car, the (+) Battery cable is connected to the frame........ If you're hooking up a GPS that plugs into a cigarette lighter port, then isolate the wiring and connect it directly to the battery. Keep the circuit clear of the rest of the cars wiring.

Leave a comment:

• 55 ,2 door c body , where do I find the postive ground? eletrical port socket

What am I looking for , under the hood , ( Looking for postive ground). ? Trying to hook up GPS , and am installing electrical ports for GPS , I don't think I hook it up to bare metal ,on engine block? !!! Your help is greatly appreciated . Mike 14x 7
    Last edited by 14x7; 04-30-2016, 01:26 PM.
Working...
X