Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64studeavanti
    replied
    I think you are a little high on how much a non-running project car will bring. For non-collector cars, I have found that Collector Car Market Review is pretty close to what the market will bear http://www.collectorcarmarket.com/co...ona-value.html. If the car is in good shape overall, it would be worth your while to get it running.

Leave a comment:

• dannyo
    replied
    Mike, i know you are probly right i just dont have the place to do it + dont like engine work at all, transmissions , rear ends, i went to school way back, speclized in , tune ups, brakes, carb s, also body work fair, paint good, engines not my thing to much to take in have done , might put up for sale later for 6,000.00 fair price for what it is , let some one else do it, we will see .

Leave a comment:

• hausdok
    replied
    I'm with a few others here.

I've unstuck my share of motors but they hadn't been seized up for a quarter of a century. Even if you can get the piston's unstuck and everything else seems to be unstuck - no hung valves, no frozen wrist pins etc. it's still a question of whether or not those rings - especially the oil rings - will, after soaking, be able to move freely in their lands or are going to allow those pistons to slap like crazy. What about mounds of rust built up on valve seats where valves were in the open position? If the oil in the oil galleries has congealed, when you start it will fresh oil flow to the places it needs to flow or will you be stressing it more by running it without good oil flow?

These are not complicated engines to tear down and rebuild.

Leave a comment:

• dannyo
    replied
    yes, fred i still will try to turn it for a while with the acetone& atf in it , pull the valve covers hit on the valves with rubber hamer , see thay are stuck ?? you never know, i have so many iron s in the fire at 67 yrs old, it wont get worth less . got a running engine in a 62 junk cruser, if nothing else may be i can offer some one 100.00 to swap for me , once it is out a friend of mine can put it on a engine stand he likes to take apart engines , just hanging on because it is a 4 speed , later dannyo.

Leave a comment:

• karterfred88
    replied
    Okay-seems you want to "flip" it. Leave it as is, as said a Lark has limited value, probably will sell to a Stude lover anyway, why not just try selling as is? Put it on the swap page. Probably get the same amount running or not, and let the buyer decide what to do.

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    Kroil is not a miracle solution. I bought a gallon of the stuff several years ago, due to all the raving here about its miraculous abilities. It is no better or worse than off the shelf stuff at FLAPS.

As for un-sticking that motor. Even if you get it un-stuck, it is in no condition to be placed into service, without a tear down and repair/replacement of parts as necessary. I once fired up a 352 motor in a 56J that was not even stuck; it had simply been sitting for 20 years. I did more damage in 5 minutes of running it than the 20 years' sitting had done to it. Never again.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs K Corbin
    replied
    Proper use of High Explosives will unstick anything!

keep on dumpin in the atf/acetone mix pull the lifters if you can. Fill the pan with diesel fuel.

Let her sit for a month, take a prybar and stick it in the starter hole (after removing the starter of course) and pry back and forth a little at a time.

if it moves and inch, eventually it'll move a mile. patience is key.

Leave a comment:

• dannyo
    replied
    hi Richard , saw your reply to my problem on this 62 lark, REAL MECHANIC, they are all gone like Lester schmitt, he was a real mech, know him for 20 yrs , died at 87, most young guys dont even know what a studebaker is, & dont care dont want to put a ton of money in a car that is only worth 3,000.00 if it ran any way , larks dont bring that much i would be up side down , at 100.00 per hour to do any kind of over hall or 3,000.00 + to build a engine no wander people put chevy crate motors in, i am to old to even put 1 in or take out ? kroil i have tryed it on other studies cost high did not work eather , guess we will leave i at that .

Leave a comment:

• dpson
    replied
    I ruined the camshaft on a 1928 Erskine (Continental 9F engine) trying to crank it over with a big breaker bar. The oil pump has seized (unknown to me at the time) and when the engine finally turned it stripped the oil pump drive gear on the camshaft. Try locating a camshaft for 1928 Erskine, it took me two years in the days before the internet. Took a lot of letter writing and waiting for replies via snail mail.

Leave a comment:

• colt45sa
    replied
    Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
    I can't imagine there aren't folks around Springfield who are familiar with Studebakers. The SDC International Meet was held there just three years ago.
    'IF' you can find a 'REAL' mechanic and you have a shop manual, the 'real' mechanic can fix your Studebaker. They weren't built on Mars and aliens didn't design them. They may have a couple of idiosyncrasies, but beyond that they are just an internal combustion engine~!

Leave a comment:

• colt45sa
    replied
    penetrant

Originally posted by dannyo View Post
    Jeffry, i just sent you a personal massage, what is Breakaway some name brand pennatrate ? dannyo.
    If you guys don't have a can of Kroil (sold by Kano Labs on the internet), you have surely cheated yourselves out of the best penetrate I have found in the past 35 years.

Leave a comment:

• dannyo
    replied
    Fred, to reply to your responce , i know a little about this car it sat all that time cause & may be longer the guy died that had a lot of cars he bought cars for 35 yrs, never done any of them, so never know i might have got lucky on this one or not , i know that being a 62 daytona v8 4 speed it will sell cause of what it is good shape, i have time to let it soke in fluid some more thanks for your in put thow .

Leave a comment:

• dannyo
    replied
    Hi Brad, yes thay are studie people here that have told me the things to do,i was at the studie int. i have been in the sdc for 40 + yrs, but i just thought i could here from the forum more ideas to never hurts to talk to others ? i have to many cars to put a ton in one , trying to just get it as a driver if it smokes no big deal most of the studies i have had smoke , later.

Leave a comment:

• doofus
    replied
    Flash the secret "Hawk Lite" in the sky and local SDC members can guide you in your quest.I know for a fact there are Stude people in Jeff City as i hung out with them in my National Guard school attending days and built an engine there. Good Luck, Doofus

Leave a comment:

• jackb
    replied
    read # 13 again...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X