to un stick a engine ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: to un stick a engine ????

tryed a lot of penatrates, etc, any one had real luck un sticking a 6 or 8 with any thing that has sat at least 20 + yrs ???????

Our 49 Commander sat for 40 yrs. First owner had a ring and valve job done as well as new brakes - then they parked it in a machine shed. The motor was stuck, but the head was loose. I soaked it for weeks with penetrant. My neighbor then pulled it with a farm tractor. We finally figured out that we were not having any luck because the car was stuck in overdrive!! So we pulled it backwards. It popped loose. Replace with newly planned head and it runs well. Ceci"s 62 298 was another story . It was soaked and soaked but would not budge. Ended up pulling it and replacing half the pistons...but then the flex plate was broken anyway so even if it had come loose it would have had to come out. ATF and diesel fuel 50/50 is the preferred formula, but have used Breakaway too

Comment

Jeffry, i just sent you a personal massage, what is Breakaway some name brand pennatrate ? dannyo.

Comment

I am going to soak this week the 224 engine in Meshach. I remember on the forum most recommended 50% ATF and 50% Acetone. I will let you know after two weeks what is happening.

Bob Miles
        Tucson AZ
        Home of Lazarus and Meshach.

Comment

I used my starter to bump the motor loose after soaking for a week or so on my 51 caddy convertible and on my 53 ck champion. It'll work if the motor is just stuck from dried oil and maybe a little light rust from condensation. You have to be judicious with the starter though and not overdo it. Bump it maybe ten or twelve times a day after a good week soaking or so.

If its been sitting in the barnyard and rusted solid you'll be replacing pistons and lucky not to break the block.

Lots of folks recommend putting a large breaker on the crank bolt but that gives me the willies!
          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

This thread reminded me of a funny story. Years ago my father-in-law bought an Opel GT with a stuck engine. We pulled the plugs and filled the cylinders with Marvel Mystery Oil. A week later we tried the starter, no luck, so we let it sit another week. The next week we tried it again, me hitting the key, him watching. He noticed a slight movement of the fan, and told me to keep bumping the starter. After a few hits it broke free, showering him with oil spurting from the sparkplug holes. I laughed 'til my sides hurt, but he was mad. He's one of those neat and tidy guys who can work cars without getting dirty. I still tease him about the only time we worked on a car where I stayed clean and he got dirty!
            Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

BE CAREFUL.
              One seized valve, one seized wrist pin will keep a crank shaft from turning.
              And NO amount of penetrant oil will fix that.

Mike

Comment

I've "unstuck" a few without pulling the heads or dropping the pan but, on at least one (my '53 232) I resorted to pulling it apart and beating on the pistons with a 2x4 on the end of a BFH. The pistons themselves cleaned well and got re-used. Occasionally you resort to either breaking it, or not.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Not applicable here, but on an early farm tractor, this fellow would insert the hand crank, brace a long pipe against the crank, put a cement block on the end of the pipe. Cylinders oiled, then just wait. When the block was on the ground the engine was unstuck!

Comment

i am going to try some of the things you guys have said, right now it has 50 % acetone& 50% atf like Bob talked about it has been in there about 5 months , havent tryed to turn it yet , 1 guy told me yesterday of rubbing alcohol in cyls, jack up a rear wheel put in gear jerk back & forth ? i can do body work, other things but no engines, or tranys, or rear ends, it not be cost eficty around here to have it done & no one knows studebaker s or the engine thay think a 289 v8 is a ford engine? the only reason for wanting to get it going it is a 62 4speed lark,dannyo.

Comment

I can't imagine there aren't folks around Springfield who are familiar with Studebakers. The SDC International Meet was held there just three years ago.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

With as much trouble as you are experiencing in un-sticking that motor, even you do get it loose, it will need a tear down. If not, it will not be reliable, and probably use a lot of oil. Those cylinder walls and rings will not heal themselves. If you are looking to just flip the car once you get it to run, you probably should delete this thread.

Comment

Like everyone says, you might get lucky--or not. My first thought is always-why was it parked 20 years ago? Seized engine, blown head gasket, spun rod bearing or just "forgotten"? That being said, the safest way to save the most parts for reuse, is to disassemble it and not even try to get it running again. Starts right up with a bent connecting rod-no more block, really spins a rod, rod journal not grindable anymore. I know the temptation is there to start and drive it, but sometimes the hard way is the best way.

Comment

read # 13 again...

Comment

Flash the secret "Hawk Lite" in the sky and local SDC members can guide you in your quest.I know for a fact there are Stude people in Jeff City as i hung out with them in my National Guard school attending days and built an engine there. Good Luck, Doofus

Comment

Working...
                              X