Fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Fluid

I am going to change my filter etc in my Flightomatic transmission for my 61 Lark six cylinder, What transmission fluid do I use and how much? I forgot what I used last time. Thanks.
    David G. Nittler

I don't think it matters much. You'll find fans of both Dexron and Mercon. I think the general consensus is that you should stick to one type or the other and not mix them.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

I always try to find type "F" fluid since that's what always used to be recommended, but it's been a while since I stocked up on it. That's the only fluid that's spec'd for the supercharger too per John Erb so I try to keep some on hand.

Comment

If the transmission is original, then type F. If it has been rebuilt with other than the original clutches, (which were brass), then Dexron II or better.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

You can buy Type FA which is ideal for Ford FMX but in Flashomatic it may move shift points up. May not be too bad an idea with a 6. Otherwise a good quality Dexron/Mercon will be fine . Be sure to drop the pan and clean or replace the filter.

Comment

jeffry, just thought those trans s had a screen not a filter ??? or?

Comment

bezhawk, I had my '56 flight-o-matic transmission rebuilt about 2,000 miles ago, using paper clutches. I am using type F, will this cause problems? Should I change it to Dexron? Thanks
              Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

I agree any will do, but prefer not to mix types or brands. However, I cannot say I have not mixed. I have not really noticed any difference in topping off with whatever is available. But Type 'F' causes them to shift a bit more aggressively.

Comment

Originally posted by 1954khardtop View Post
                  bezhawk, I had my '56 flight-o-matic transmission rebuilt about 2,000 miles ago, using paper clutches. I am using type F, will this cause problems? Should I change it to Dexron? Thanks
                  No, but most paper clutches don't need the "grabbier" (is that a word?) type F. Dexron is a bit more slippery and gives a less harsh shift. That in turn puts less strain on things. I like firm shifts, so type F is what I use. I use B&M Trick shift, which is a type F. Plus, it's a pretty blue!
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Where do you find type F? I have never seen it.Thanks
                    David G. Nittler

Comment

I find type F at my local independent parts store, Advance auto, and Wal-Mart.
                      Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Type "F" or "FA" is still made by Valvoline, ask your NAPA, Carquest (or is it Advance now?) Store for it, if not in stock it CAN be ordered and in by Tomorrow.

Most of these Flight-O-Matics are so strong and dependable that they are STILL running on the Original Brass and Asbestos Clutch Discs unless you know yours is otherwise, the Type "F" is still the Best performing ATF.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks for the help.
                          David G. Nittler

Comment

Working...
                          X