Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Water Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Water Pump

Hi guys! I'm new to Studebakers, and I wanted to check with you to see if there was anything I should keep in mind when changing my water pump. My car is a 64 Lark Cruiser with the v8.

Is it a pretty straightforward rip and replace?

Just about the easiest water pump ever made to replace. 4 bolts & remove the fan assembly. 4 bolts & the water pump is removed from the water manifold. Clean the 4 gasket surfaces & install the new pump with the supplied copper washers (providing you got your new pump from one of our vendors), reinstall the fan assembly, add coolant & your done! Welcome to the forum!!!!!
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I do not think there could possibly be an easier car to replace a Water Pump on.

There are no Radiator Hoses, Fan Shrouds, Water Manifolds, nothing to remove except the small Pump itself and the Fan, Spacer and Pulley.

The 4 Bolts do require Copper Sealing Washers always supplied with Quality New Pumps from Studebaker Vendors. The Gasket should be as thin as possible to allow minimum clearance at the back of the Water Manifold.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

And while doing this carefully inspect the fan blade for stress cracks. Luck Doofus

Comment

Thanks guys.

Stress cracks in a metal fan?

Comment

Years ago there was a run of pumps that were assemble with the impeller installed incorrectly.
            http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/.../S1048x2x1.jpg
            Shows the service letter with the correct dimension.
            Always a good thing to check and move the impeller if needed.
            If the impeller needs to be repositioned, use a gear puller to move it away from the housing.
            Never move the shaft from the bearing.
            The Studebaker Tech site http://www.studebaker-info.org/rjtechoct2014p1.html is an incredible source of information
            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

...and also be sure that the weep hole is oriented down at 6 o'clock.
              The 4 bolts are evenly spaced so that you can get this wrong!

Comment

Do I need to torque the bolts down?

Comment

Some of the fans can develop cracks around the bolt holes. If/when they get bad enungh, the fan blades can fly off at speed and hit the hood, radiator, or your head if you have the hood open.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                  10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                  56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                  60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Yes. I neighbor has a 1970 Dodge truck with an interesting dent and cut on the hood from a fan that let go. I'm replacing a fan on a 1970 Volvo that has a cracked blade. I found out by it's buzzing. Maybe only 1970 cars of any make have this problem. ;-)

Originally posted by adamevans View Post
                    Thanks guys.

Stress cracks in a metal fan?
                    Ron Dame
                    '63 Champ

Comment

Many years ago John Poulos had a ~41 Cadillac 60 Special that threw a fan blade. Sliced right through the hood and landed in the street.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Back in the '60's at the Indy drags one Sunday a fellow working on his race car was revving the engine a fan blade came off hit him in the chest and killed him.

Ted

Comment

Working...
                        X