Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Bent flange on the 39 grill.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body: Bent flange on the 39 grill.

I have an excellent grill for my 39 CE but it has a bent place on the flange that laps over the body. Can I straighten it with a couple blocks of wood and a hammer?

I worry about breaking the finicky pot metal.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Working with pot metal is always a crap-shoot. Once bent, it rarely will straighten without cracking. If I tried to fix it, I would clamp it between the wooden pieces and take many baby steps to get it straight.............and pray a lot. I would not use a hammer. Just the shock might cause the pot metal to break.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

What about adding heat?

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-Repai...tml?rmvSB=true

Comment

I suspect adding some heat may improve the possibility of manipulating the piece, but I would be gentle and try adding that heat with a soldering iron rather than a torch, or pass the torch in very short bursts, build the necessary heat as you would layer paint. If cracks develop, which they no doubt will, they can be repaired with silver solder. I've never done it but, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Agree with the folks above. You may want to cut a couple pieces of wood the required shape you want and slowly use C-clamps to apply force. Time is your friend here.

Comment

Thanks Gentlemen! Glad I didn't just start hammering it!

I looked again at the grill and found another dent. Neither one is really big....probably less than 1/8" but more than 1/16" deflection at the dent. The edge of the overlap to the painted metal is quite rough in many places too and I am certain it will abrade my new paint over time. I think I'll install some 1/8" single stick tape on the flange before installing to kill two birds with one stone.

Think that will work ok?

Were these originally just installed bare against the paint?

Comment

T'were it me, I'd get a dead bug or two and glue them on the dings...
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                  T'were it me, I'd get a dead bug or two and glue them on the dings...
                  Where is that "Like" button when you need it?
                  "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

They really aren't all that visible I don't think.

Thanks for the great idea though!

Comment

Working...
                    X