No announcement yet.

Low Cost Source for Oil Filters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Low Cost Source for Oil Filters.

Hello,

The title says it all, I am looking for a low cost source for filter elements for the remote FRAM oil canisters used on all 1951 Studebakers. I have seen some of these in prices of about $20-$25. I hope that there is something cheaper if these are to be replace regularly.
    1947 Studebaker M-5
    1946 Studebaker M-5
    1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
    1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
    1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Fram C4P? $10.49 on Amazon.

Comment

Go into your local Autozone
      I just did and cost me $6
      You been looking at the get rich dreamers on eBay I`d say !!!!
      Geoff

Comment

Buy yourself a polished stainless steel Franz toilet paper filter. Put up there and change using $.50 Scott 1000 rolls. Your engine will love you for it and they look sharp too.

Comment

Check with Rock Auto Parts, they have the filters you need for your 51 at a decent price. Bud

Comment

Last year at Reedsville someone left a whole box full of them just outside the door with a sign saying "please take these". They don't usually appear on the shelves at Costco but they can hardly be called rare. You just need to know what and where.
            The original Fram C4 used pleated paper media, while the C4P uses stacked disc media.

Here are a couple hundred cross reference numbers for the C4P from various manufacturers. http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetail.aspx?b=F&pn=C4P
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10,
            '51 Commander Starlight,
            '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
            '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Many Champions had the smaller Fram C3 filters
              Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
              1961 Hawk 4-speed
              1967 Avanti
              1961 Lark 2 door
              1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Thank you all for the information. After throwing the local Autozone cashier off by saying the application was for a Studebaker, he was able to order one over night. I honestly didn't think they would still have access to them. Lesson learned.
                1947 Studebaker M-5
                1946 Studebaker M-5
                1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
                1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
                1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

I use Napa 1006 in the 56J, for around $11 each. Same as Fram C4.

Comment

Just tell them it's for a KT15 Buffalo Springfield-Compactor Roller.
                    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10,
                    '51 Commander Starlight,
                    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Just checked Autozone, my local store claims they can get one in a day...
                      http://www.autozone.com/external-eng...9_612172_1002/

Comment

If I've learned anything about todays auto stores, it's that you need to give them part numbers only to reference with. Giving them an application, which is their normal reference source will return only confused looks as they don't show it. Hey, computers didn't exist when our cars did, how can you expect them to "know" anything before they were born?

Comment

Who makes Studebakers?.......Don't they make motorcycles?

I took in a part from a carburetor (WCFB) to O'Reilly's the other day. I laid it on the counter and asked them who was up for the challenge. No one had any idea what it was. None of them had EVER worked on a carburetor.

I did it more to teach the kids about it than to actually get one. I knew darn good and well that they wouldn't be able to get one. It's the spring loaded canister that slows down the throttle snap when you let off the gas so it doesn't slam back closed for the automatic trans. I don;t know what it's called and can't find one anywhere. It's not shown ion the WCFB rebuild booklet.
                          Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                          1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Think it's still called a dash pot. Luck Doofus

Comment

A Dashpot is a Dealer only Part added by the Car Mfg. on Automatic Trans. cars only, it is not part of the Carter Carb. or made by them, that is why they and the Repair Kit Mfg.'s do not mention it.

The Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog and Shop Manual will however, 1542834 less the Mounting Bracket.

Since the Stude. "Dealers" are gone, that means you have to go to a Studebaker Vendor not a Parts Store.
                              http://studebakervendors.com
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                              X