Auto Dip Stick Leakage Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Auto Dip Stick Leakage Question

My brothers 62 Lark Convertible V-8 automatic is in the shop with a transmission fluid leakage issue (go figure). The mechanic discovered that the transmission fluid dip stick has a cracked metal cap, where it slips over the filler tube. He feels that transmission fluid is coming out the end of the tube when the car is driven because of the cracked cap. Does this seem reasonable, can the transmission fluid get high enough in the system to come out of the long filler tube?
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

The tube only has a single flare and it can crack causing a leak. If the flare is cracked, there isn't many places that can reflare a tube that large. You may try an air compressor repair place, as the cylinder intercoolers are about that diameter of tube, and they may be able to reflare the tube. If not, you need to replace it.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by dpson View Post
      My brothers 62 Lark Convertible V-8 automatic is in the shop with a transmission fluid leakage issue (go figure). The mechanic discovered that the transmission fluid dip stick has a cracked metal cap, where it slips over the filler tube. He feels that transmission fluid is coming out the end of the tube when the car is driven because of the cracked cap. Does this seem reasonable, can the transmission fluid get high enough in the system to come out of the long filler tube?
      I think it's not likely, that would take an awfully overfilled trans for expansion to get it up to the top of the tube. Like BEZ says, a more likely spot is where the tube goes into the pan where the big flare nut is.

Comment

yeah i'd replace the tube and be done with it.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. As mentioned it likely not the dip stick that's causing the leakage, but rather the tube where it enters the pan. I'll pass this along to my brother.
          Dan Peterson
          Montpelier, VT

Comment

For what its worth, if the leak is out the top of the dipstick tube, it seems likely that it would be due to high pressure inside the tranny?
            If that's the case, you ought to check to see if the tranny vent is clear, or at least that the cap can be jiggled around.
            Its a kinda mini-soda cap affair loosely sweged over a port on the upper right side of the trans.
            If the trans is in the car, you'd probably have to find the vent by touch from underneath the car.

Comment

I'll put it this way: if the info has been passed along correctly to you from the Shop Tech to your Brother to you and to us, there is NO WAY a Dipstick Cap could cause that.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks Rich,

I kind of figured that, but thought I'd ask.
                Dan Peterson
                Montpelier, VT

Comment

Working...
                X