Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green 53
    replied
    I was told by an Airtex person that they were having issues with the Mexican products and were planing to bring back production to the US. I had two Chevy pumps fail.

Denny L

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Yup........

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by colt45sa View Post
    I like to read what the 'boo-birds' have to say, especially if it relates to their experience. My $65.00 wish is that some 'boo-bird' had posted a note here about what junk the Airtex fuel pump was. I could have then had my original pump professionally rebuilt saving not only the bucks but also the potential fire hazard their pump caused me. Let's hear it from the 'boo-birds' who have bought junk or have had a crummy experience with some advertised service.
    Finally, the voice of experience and TRUTH comes out, thank you for that Truth Richard.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by colt45sa View Post
    I like to read what the 'boo-birds' have to say, especially if it relates to their experience. My $65.00 wish is that some 'boo-bird' had posted a note here about what junk the Airtex fuel pump was. I could have then had my original pump professionally rebuilt saving not only the bucks but also the potential fire hazard their pump caused me. Let's hear it from the 'boo-birds' who have bought junk or have had a crummy experience with some advertised service.
    Finally, the voice of experience and TRUTH comes out, thank you for that Truth

Leave a comment:

• karterfred88
    replied
    Well I'm not exactly a boo-bird, but you get what you can get. How long will there even be a market for carb kits and mechanical fuel pumps? On tractors -maybe- for cars not likely, and wanting parts to withstand todays fuel for use in antiques, might be asking too much. If it weren't for the "cheap" Chinese, Indian, Mexican parts, we wouldn't have any-no profit in an item with little market. So we move on to "work-arounds", adaptations, improving the "junk" to work, and using what we can get and afford.

Leave a comment:

• colt45sa
    replied
    horray for the 'boo-birds'

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    Yeah, I never said one word about quality.
    But I knew it would bring out the boo-birds.
    And... I don't disagree about the Stude Airtex pump issues.

Leave a comment:

• greyben
    replied
    Thank you all for responding. There seems to be some confusion regarding the difference between carburetors and fuel pumps. I guess we all get a bit more confused as our years advance.

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    You could be right... The term 'biggest', and 'largest' gets tossed around a lot, and changes from year to year due to contracts.
    My comment was directed more ar StudeRich for splitting hairs.
    Everyone on the Internet knows that Acme is the MAJOR fuel pump repair kit supplier for Studebaker's, and Gravely's... A Coyote wrote it on an Internet blog, so it has to be true.

Originally posted by doofus View Post
    And i always thought FACET was the biggie! oh well. Doofus

Leave a comment:

• doofus
    replied
    And i always thought FACET was the biggie! oh well. Doofus

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Yeah, I never said one word about quality.
    But I knew it would bring out the boo-birds.
    And... I don't disagree about the Stude Airtex pump issues.

Originally posted by Mike Sal View Post
    I worked for Airtex for 24 years. They haven't made fuel pump repair kits (themselves) for over 30 years (anything with their brand name on the box was just re-branded kit from someone else). Their Studebaker pumps have poor oil seals & that was the most common complaint. The diaphragm cloth used to come from an old family run company in Wisconsin, but it got bought out by a corporation & closed it down....I'm not sure where the material comes from any more.

BTW, the factory is nearly empty now as they have moved all production to mexico & china.
    Mike S

Leave a comment:

• Mike Sal
    replied
    I worked for Airtex for 24 years. They haven't made fuel pump repair kits (themselves) for over 30 years (anything with their brand name on the box was just re-branded kit from someone else). Their Studebaker pumps have poor oil seals & that was the most common complaint. The diaphragm cloth used to come from an old family run company in Wisconsin, but it got bought out by a corporation & closed it down....I'm not sure where the material comes from any more.

BTW, the factory is nearly empty now as they have moved all production to mexico & china.
    Mike S

Leave a comment:

• Mike
    replied
    Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
    There is a guy on ebay selling a 6" x 6" piece of fuel pump diaphram material for $10.50 with free shipping. I bought it and if it was 7" x 7" I could have cut 4 diaphrams, but anyway I cut 2 diaphrams for my Studebaker pump. I put a piece of the scrap into a jar of the 10% ethanol crap gas. After a week it looked like it might stand up to the junk gas, but after 4 weeks it did fail, so I'm still looking for the good stuff.
    I think "Buna Nitrile", or "Buna N" is the good stuff. McMaster/Carr sells it in small sheets and various thicknesses. Read their information carefully.
    Mike

Leave a comment:

• TWChamp
    replied
    There is a guy on ebay selling a 6" x 6" piece of fuel pump diaphram material for $10.50 with free shipping. I bought it and if it was 7" x 7" I could have cut 4 diaphrams, but anyway I cut 2 diaphrams for my Studebaker pump. I put a piece of the scrap into a jar of the 10% ethanol crap gas. After a week it looked like it might stand up to the junk gas, but after 4 weeks it did fail, so I'm still looking for the good stuff.

Leave a comment:

• colt45sa
    replied
    size isn't everything

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    Airtex is the largest OE and aftermarket supplier of fuel delivery system parts...in the world.
    AND maker of the worst junk I have ever been unfortunate enough to have bought. Original fuel pump went out on my '55 President coupe. Bought an Airtex to replace it and as always, saved the original which was rebuildable. Nine months after installation, the Airtex begins to leak fuel. Pulled out the original pump and sent it out to have it restored. Of course the restorer installed an alcohol resistant diaphram. Junked the Airtex, installed the restored OEM pump, still running great these 6 years later. Support your restorers, a dying breed~!

Leave a comment:

• doofus
    replied
    That leather pump will however dry out quickly,soak it in neets foot oil before installation. Luck Doofus

Leave a comment:

Working...
X