Airtex WCFB kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Airtex WCFB kit

Does anyone have experience with the current Airtex kit for the WCFB, specifically is the accelerator pump ethanol resistant?
    American iron, real old school
    With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
    With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
    With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
    The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
    I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Airtex is not the MAJOR Mfg. of Carter WCFB Repair Kits, certainly not the one used by all of the Studebaker Vendors. So I know of no one who would know that.

Maybe you have a 50 Year Old kit when Airtex made them.

The correct Leather Pump should not be affected by Alcohol.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Airtex is the largest OE and aftermarket supplier of fuel delivery system parts...in the world.

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      Airtex is not the MAJOR Mfg. of Carter WCFB Repair Kits, certainly not the one used by all of the Studebaker Vendors. So I know of no one who would know that.

Maybe you have a 50 Year Old kit when Airtex made them.

The correct Leather Pump should not be affected by Alcohol.
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Good, I'll bet they make the most Toyota, Mazda, Nissan, Honda, Hyundai Fuel System Parts than anyone! Good for them.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Yessir. Your car has their stuff in it.

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Good, I'll bet they make the most Toyota, Mazda, Nissan, Honda, Hyundai Fuel System Parts than anyone! Good for them.

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

That leather pump will however dry out quickly,soak it in neets foot oil before installation. Luck Doofus

Comment

size isn't everything

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
              Airtex is the largest OE and aftermarket supplier of fuel delivery system parts...in the world.
              AND maker of the worst junk I have ever been unfortunate enough to have bought. Original fuel pump went out on my '55 President coupe. Bought an Airtex to replace it and as always, saved the original which was rebuildable. Nine months after installation, the Airtex begins to leak fuel. Pulled out the original pump and sent it out to have it restored. Of course the restorer installed an alcohol resistant diaphram. Junked the Airtex, installed the restored OEM pump, still running great these 6 years later. Support your restorers, a dying breed~!

Comment

There is a guy on ebay selling a 6" x 6" piece of fuel pump diaphram material for $10.50 with free shipping. I bought it and if it was 7" x 7" I could have cut 4 diaphrams, but anyway I cut 2 diaphrams for my Studebaker pump. I put a piece of the scrap into a jar of the 10% ethanol crap gas. After a week it looked like it might stand up to the junk gas, but after 4 weeks it did fail, so I'm still looking for the good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                  There is a guy on ebay selling a 6" x 6" piece of fuel pump diaphram material for $10.50 with free shipping. I bought it and if it was 7" x 7" I could have cut 4 diaphrams, but anyway I cut 2 diaphrams for my Studebaker pump. I put a piece of the scrap into a jar of the 10% ethanol crap gas. After a week it looked like it might stand up to the junk gas, but after 4 weeks it did fail, so I'm still looking for the good stuff.
                  I think "Buna Nitrile", or "Buna N" is the good stuff. McMaster/Carr sells it in small sheets and various thicknesses. Read their information carefully.
                  Mike

Comment

I worked for Airtex for 24 years. They haven't made fuel pump repair kits (themselves) for over 30 years (anything with their brand name on the box was just re-branded kit from someone else). Their Studebaker pumps have poor oil seals & that was the most common complaint. The diaphragm cloth used to come from an old family run company in Wisconsin, but it got bought out by a corporation & closed it down....I'm not sure where the material comes from any more.

BTW, the factory is nearly empty now as they have moved all production to mexico & china.
                    Mike S

Comment

Yeah, I never said one word about quality.
                      But I knew it would bring out the boo-birds.
                      And... I don't disagree about the Stude Airtex pump issues.

Originally posted by Mike Sal View Post
                      I worked for Airtex for 24 years. They haven't made fuel pump repair kits (themselves) for over 30 years (anything with their brand name on the box was just re-branded kit from someone else). Their Studebaker pumps have poor oil seals & that was the most common complaint. The diaphragm cloth used to come from an old family run company in Wisconsin, but it got bought out by a corporation & closed it down....I'm not sure where the material comes from any more.

BTW, the factory is nearly empty now as they have moved all production to mexico & china.
                      Mike S

Jeff

Comment

And i always thought FACET was the biggie! oh well. Doofus

Comment

You could be right... The term 'biggest', and 'largest' gets tossed around a lot, and changes from year to year due to contracts.
                          My comment was directed more ar StudeRich for splitting hairs.
                          Everyone on the Internet knows that Acme is the MAJOR fuel pump repair kit supplier for Studebaker's, and Gravely's... A Coyote wrote it on an Internet blog, so it has to be true.

Originally posted by doofus View Post
                          And i always thought FACET was the biggie! oh well. Doofus

Jeff

Comment

Thank you all for responding. There seems to be some confusion regarding the difference between carburetors and fuel pumps. I guess we all get a bit more confused as our years advance.
                            American iron, real old school
                            With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
                            With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
                            With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
                            The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
                            I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Comment

horray for the 'boo-birds'

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                              Yeah, I never said one word about quality.
                              But I knew it would bring out the boo-birds.
                              And... I don't disagree about the Stude Airtex pump issues.
                              I like to read what the 'boo-birds' have to say, especially if it relates to their experience. My $65.00 wish is that some 'boo-bird' had posted a note here about what junk the Airtex fuel pump was. I could have then had my original pump professionally rebuilt saving not only the bucks but also the potential fire hazard their pump caused me. Let's hear it from the 'boo-birds' who have bought junk or have had a crummy experience with some advertised service.

Comment

Working...
                              X