Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Some New Pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body: Some New Pictures

After I got Home, and could get out in warmer weather, I went around the Hawk and 0000 steel wooled some of the shiney stuff...just to see how bad it was. The bumpers appeared to be hopeless. I hit two of t"hopeless". All the chrome and stainless I tested was bright and shiney, under the grunge...Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1391.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	1750809

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
    After I got Home, and could get out in warmer weather, I went around the Hawk and 0000 steel wooled some of the shiney stuff...just to see how bad it was. The bumpers appeared to be hopeless. I hit two of t"hopeless". All the chrome and stainless I tested was bright and shiney, under the grunge...[ATTACH=CONFIG]53455[/ATTACH]
    Hope it polishes for you, but I would stick to chrome and stainless polish and chemical cleaners, rather than the steel wool, it will scratch the surface and actually dull it. I have used rubbing compound meant for paint work with a buffer on the chrome with some good results. Problem has always been keeping the rust from coming right back and ruining all your work. Maybe a clear coat lacquer or enamel might seal it a little bit if it doesn't just flake back off. Looks like you'll be having fun though.

Comment

Quite an improvement!

Comment

0000 is fine, but don't use anything coarser, and don't use Scotchbrite. Those can scratch the chrome. 0000 or four ought is the stuff to use, in my experience.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Pick up a can of Never Dull - best stuff

Comment

Have heard of aluminum foil and water to clean up rusty chrome!! Have'nt tried it though.

Comment

Working...
            X