17A Commander?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: 17A Commander?

Got a reprint of the Auto Trans service manual with my new 53 Commander Hardtop.
    Manual makes several references to a "17A" model Commander.

I know mine is a 4H as the tag has 4H K5.

Did a search, and couldn't find anything. What is the 17A model? Among other things, it must have a larger capacity oil pan for the auto trans.

The 17A was a 1950 commander that used the 245 6 cyl. engine. It was the first year of the automatic and I believe it had a larger capacity torque converter/clutch. It did have additional cooling ductwork.

Rob

Comment

The manual you have dates from 1950. There were no later complete manuals. There are several supplemental manuals. The latest I know of is for the 1954 Champion. I'm not aware of a supplement for the 1953 Commander. The majority of later information is in service manuals, service bulletins and service letters, and there are several. Many upgrades to this transmission over the years.
      AL SORAN RACING

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
          The manual you have dates from 1950. There were no later complete manuals. There are several supplemental manuals. The latest I know of is for the 1954 Champion. I'm not aware of a supplement for the 1953 Commander. The majority of later information is in service manuals, service bulletins and service letters, and there are several. Many upgrades to this transmission over the years.
          Not a "manual", but there is "Studebaker Automatic Drive", an eight page booklet, 6-53-35M, for 1953.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

17A was the model number for the Land Cruiser. It was an upgrade from the commander and was quite a bit longer with a longer wheel base. Don't know anything about the automatic transmission, I have one plus a parts car but both are stick. I believe the drive train for the Land Cruiser and Commander were the same.
            sigpic
            Barn Find
            1950 Champion
            Before I started
            Jim Berry
            Midlothian, TX

Comment

Sorry folks. I have been living a lie. Just learned the 17A model was for all 1950 Commanders, Land Cruiser was a trim option or something. However it is longer and has a longer wheel base. The chassis catalog does not show a separate part number for the Land Cruiser hood, finders etc. Not sure where the extra length is.
              sigpic
              Barn Find
              1950 Champion
              Before I started
              Jim Berry
              Midlothian, TX

Comment

Originally posted by doubledaddy View Post
                Sorry folks. I have been living a lie. Just learned the 17A model was for all 1950 Commanders, Land Cruiser was a trim option or something. However it is longer and has a longer wheel base. The chassis catalog does not show a separate part number for the Land Cruiser hood, finders etc. Not sure where the extra length is.
                The extra length is in the rear doors and gives more leg room to the rear seat passengers.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by doubledaddy View Post
                  It is not a "trim option". It is a separate model of the Commander series. All 1950 Commanders are 17A series. The body style is identified by the letter and number after the 17A. A Land Cruiser is a Y5.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    Not a "manual", but there is "Studebaker Automatic Drive", an eight page booklet, 6-53-35M, for 1953.
                    There was also the 'Hydraulic Power Steering' supplement for 1953.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                      . The majority of later information is in service manuals, service bulletins and service letters, and there are several. Many upgrades to this transmission over the years.
                      Is there anywhere that the later info concerning automatic trans is put together, one catalog, manual ?
                      Either a factory supplement or on another site or blog.
                      Maybe something that could be put on the Home page tech and tips section.
                      South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Working...
                      X