62 Hawk front ebrake cable clip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: 62 Hawk front ebrake cable clip

In the shop manual for removing the front parking brake cable it says "Remove the cable conduit retaining clip which holds the conduit to the floor pan..."

I can see where the conduit goes into a small "hood" or "tent" shaped clip which appears welded to the underside of the floor pan. But I can barely get at it to touch it with my finger tips. Can anyone describe this "clip" and how it pulls out so I can get my old frayed cable out?

Otherwise this job seems pretty straight forward except that it seems my brake handle assembly got moved to the left to clear the air conditioner better, so someone spaced the handle downward with a wooden block.

Thanks

Paul
    I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
    1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

On the Models I have worked on IIRC, It is just a "U" Bolt with two Nuts on Top. It is removed from inside the Car under the Floor covering right near the Hinge of the Gas Pedal.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Hi Rich,

Ugh! That won't be fun. I've already removed one layer of fiberglass "repair" from the driver's floor. There's still another one under it. I'll need to get that out in order to find from the top side what you're talking about.

But given the shape of the retaining "barrel" at the end of the cable shield on the new cable that sounds about right.

Thanks

Paul

Comment

Will probably turn out to be a "J" bolt with one nut, other leg just pokes through the floor to prevent twisting. Luck, Doofus

Comment

If you are referring to the wooden block under the dash, that the handle mount is affixed to, they all have that. It comes apart as part of the mount, and must be reinstalled later, or else the handle would not clear the bottom of the dash.

Comment

Just got done re-furbishing my parking brake parts too. I agree with the J-bolt shape and doofus' comments. I dug through several layers of tar paper to find the nut on mine too. I had the P/N 535278 guide nut missing and believe it or not, S-I had one in their unlisted stock! The handle and plunger guide pin was also missing and the handle was installed upside down so the pawl wouldn't engage in the serrations on the plunger. What a mess! After re-building and lubing everything, the brake works great!
            Bill L.
            1962 GT Hawk

Comment

I'd be curious as to why Studebaker chose a cheap-looking wooden block instead of a metal bracket. Cost only, or was a hearken back to their old days as coach and wagon builders and those days when much of their products were made from wood? Mmmmm.
              Bill L.
              1962 GT Hawk

Comment

When I restored the cable on my '53 the nut snapped off the "J" bolt. I just got a "U" bolt and cut the threads off one side.
                "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10,
                '51 Commander Starlight,
                '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                  When I restored the cable on my '53 the nut snapped off the "J" bolt. I just got a "U" bolt and cut the threads off one side.
                  Come judgment time, you WILL lose points for that. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                    Come judgment time, you WILL lose points for that. LOL
                    Not if you cover it in POR15!!

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      On the Models I have worked on IIRC, It is just a "U" Bolt with two Nuts on Top. It is removed from inside the Car under the Floor covering right near the Hinge of the Gas Pedal.
                      Yup, found it, dead center under the gas pedal. I'm guessing the previous owner had already tried getting it out. The nut was entirely rounded off. But since the floor is toast anyway, a couple wacks with a hammer and chisel liberated the retainer from what's left of the floor.

NEW PROBLEM: The pin was missing from the pull rod from the interior. I don't see it in the SI catalog. Could a simple piece of rod work? IF so, how long should it be?

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdGenStude View Post
                        Yup, found it, dead center under the gas pedal. I'm guessing the previous owner had already tried getting it out. The nut was entirely rounded off. But since the floor is toast anyway, a couple wacks with a hammer and chisel liberated the retainer from what's left of the floor.

NEW PROBLEM: The pin was missing from the pull rod from the interior. I don't see it in the SI catalog. Could a simple piece of rod work? IF so, how long should it be?

Paul
                        It's a "tapered" pin. part number 1548302, I think-same as an Avanti pull handle SI shows available for $4.50 Online enter it into the part number box and it will come up.

Comment

My J-bolt was back of the gas pedal attachment hinge towards the rear of the car. As for the plunger pin, I used a simple piece of hardened rod. Really doesn't matter how long it is, it doesn't interfere with anything. Just drive it in tight so it doesn't come loose. I cut it about ½" long after I drove it into the plunger. If you haven't already, see page 366 of the parts manual for a good drawing of the whole assembly.
                          Bill L.
                          1962 GT Hawk

Comment

My order from SI arrived about a week ago.

Well, I've got the handle and new cable all reassembled and ready to go back in the car. Thanks all for your advice and part numbers.

That spring on the pawl is just about as frustrating to install as the 5 rollers in the front window assembly. I cheated and bent the spring a little bit to make it easier to line up. It took some of the tension away from the pawl, but it seems to be working correctly.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                            X