horsepower ratings in 1955 259 engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: horsepower ratings in 1955 259 engine

I just visited a site which claimed that the 259 used in the 1955 President was rated at 250hp before Jan 3, 1955 and at 285 hp after Jan 3, 1955. Were there changes made in the engine? And if so, what were those changes?

"Everything you read on the internet is not true."
    by Abe Lincoln

Comment

That site you read may have transposed the HP and torque figures.

Original 259, was intro'd in 1955. In the Commander, with a two barrel put out about 160 HP. The President got the 4 barrel and 175 HP. With a dual exhaust you could add 10-15 HP

The torque on these engines was around 250 lb/ft
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
        That site you read may have transposed the HP and torque figures.

Original 259, was intro'd in 1955. In the Commander, with a two barrel put out about 160 HP. The President got the 4 barrel and 175 HP. With a dual exhaust you could add 10-15 HP

The torque on these engines was around 250 lb/ft
        That was stupid of me to type so quickly and not check what I had written. The site said 175 hp before and 185 hp after. This was the site http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/462.cfm

Comment

The President "P" Serial Numbered Engine must have had higher compression than the same Commander "V" 4 Brl. 259 compared to a President 259 4 Brl. because they squeezed about 2 more Horses out of it, or rated it higher to make the Passmaster President 259 appear more Powerful!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
          X