Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rockne10
    replied
    Could also be as simple as a weak pedal return spring.

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
    I had the same problem some time back in my Avanti and it was the hydraulic brake switch. I ended up installing a mechanical switch...inexpensive and more reliable.
    Only thing I'd add, if it is due to residual pressure in the line, the lights sticking on are a SYMPTOM of a another problem. Removing the symptom, would not address said problem, if it exists.

Leave a comment:

• Gunslinger
    replied
    I had the same problem some time back in my Avanti and it was the hydraulic brake switch. I ended up installing a mechanical switch...inexpensive and more reliable.

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    Assuming you have the OEM, pressure switch, residual pressure in the lines, caused by insufficient pedal linkage clearance. Maybe the brake light switch going out, though the usually begin to fail to come on, instead of sticking on. Maybe something wrong with the power assist, putting pressure in the line. If you have an amp gauge instead of idiot light, with key off, you can watch is closely and operate the pedal gently to see how sensitive the light is to pedal pressure in coming on and going off.

A couple of years ago, I bought super sensitive switches, so the lights would come on as soon as I barely press the pedal, instead of when considerable of pressure is the lines. They are available now for older cars so the brakes come on much more quickly, like modern cars. Maybe you accidentally got hold of one of those switches. I had not thought of them as a potential problem, but now guess I'd better start to notice the brake lights when parking and walking away from the car.

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    started a topic Brakes: Brake lights come on for no reason

Brake lights come on for no reason

This is a strange one. Yesterday around noon I went out to the 62 Cruiser to go for lunch when I saw the brake lights on. This has happened before. Getting in the car & giving the brake pedal a quick jab & the lights go out. If they had been on from driving the car the day before I'm sure the battery would have been dead but it started right up without any hesitation that would have indicated a low voltage.

The nights have been a bit cool, around the high 50's & around noon when this happened it was around 85 if that may have a bearing on things. It's a 4 wheel drum setup with a stock power booster & a new (2 years ago)65 dual master cylinder for a power drum car. Any thoughts & suggestions would be appreciated.
Working...
X