Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible Substitution for Ross manual box on a '56 Power Hawk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GrumpyOne
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
    Hi Grump,
    "My question is would a Ross box out of a '55 prez coupe be any better?" The answer to this question you DID ask is: NO
    I think that you're wrong as the box in the '55 Prez coupe has a double cam follower.

Page 401, Plate 13-1. Absolutely no relation to what is in the Power Hawk.

Still, the question remains... Are the steering wheel splines the same in '55 and '56? I think that the change in spines occurred in '57 with the advent of recessed steering wheels..
    Last edited by GrumpyOne; 04-25-2016, 07:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post
    Well, I guess that I struck out here.

All I asked is whether a Ross box out of a '55 c/k would have the same splines as a '56.

I haven't heard of complaints with '55 Ross boxes as they ARE NOT the same as what is found in a '56 Power which by the way already had the dreaded 'flat' spot when I bought it with on 33K.

And again, Lars offers rebuilding on all '55 steering gears but only on the Saginaw power steering in for 1956.

The big questing is... Are the '55 & 56 splines the same???

Hi Grump,
    "My question is would a Ross box out of a '55 prez coupe be any better?" The answer to this question you DID ask is: NO
    Last edited by JoeHall; 04-25-2016, 06:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GrumpyOne
    replied
    Well, I guess that I struck out here.

All I asked is whether a Ross box out of a '55 c/k would have the same splines as a '56.

I haven't heard of complaints with '55 Ross boxes as they ARE NOT the same as what is found in a '56 Power which by the way already had the dreaded 'flat' spot when I bought it with on 33K.

And again, Lars offers rebuilding on all '55 steering gears but only on the Saginaw power steering in for 1956.

The big questing is... Are the '55 & 56 splines the same???

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Forrester
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
    It will be very interesting to hear Jerry's report on how the electric steering works, once he gets the car on the road. There may even be, "an ap for that" on his smart phone, to make steering adjustments.

(Trying to be funny, not being facetious.)
    It might be a while before I give a report on the finished Buttercup project.
    See http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...800#post985800
    Last edited by Jerry Forrester; 04-24-2016, 09:12 AM. Reason: I didn't mean to hi-jack JT's thread. Started a new one.

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    It will be very interesting to hear Jerry's report on how the electric steering works, once he gets the car on the road. There may even be, "an ap for that" on his smart phone, to make steering adjustments.

(Trying to be funny, not being facetious.)

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    Instead of welding the steering shaft longer why not do the electric power steering conversion like what Jerry Forrester did. The only thing I would think of doing additionally would be to have the end of the shaft machined to accept the stock Studebaker steering wheel. The electric assist fits under the dash & one would see a modified steering shaft under the hood.

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    I have heard of that conversion for years. Having driven several 64-66 Stude passenger cars. I agree that Saginaw box is superior to any 56 manual box. Grafting the shafts should be a piece of cake; the mount may be the biggest PITA. I prefer, and will have nothing but PS in any of the Hawks, but that Saginaw would be next best thing.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    I have never seen a Ross Steering box that I particularly liked for it's longevity or lack of Leaking!

I do not think a earlier model Ross is much different or better, probably worse.

The Good "FIX" is a bit of work. You have to lengthen the Shaft of a '61 to '66 Lark or Lark Type Saginaw Recirculating Ball type Box by having a certified welder weld the Tubular Upper shaft to the solid Rod type Shaft of the Box and make a simple 6 Hole adapter Plate to mount it to the Frame.

Leave a comment:

• Possible Substitution for Ross manual box on a '56 Power Hawk?

I think that everyone will agree that the Ross steering boxes for V8 c/k manual steering were pretty bad.

My question is would a Ross box out of a '55 prez coupe be any better? And would the spline work for a '56 steering wheel?

(as a side note, Lars rebuilds '55 c/k Ross boxes but no go on '56 c/k models)

TIA
Working...
X