starter solenoid problems on an Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: starter solenoid problems on an Avanti

Has anyone experienced multiple failures of starter solenoids on a '63 Avanti R-1~? I've had two back to back failures. Just replaced the battery and that seems to have solved the problem. Is that possible? Sounds very strange.

Maybe you need to try a different source, a Made in USA older stock FoMoCo, Borg Warner, Echlin, Standard Ignition, or Niehoff. The eBay sellers that sell off Obsolete, old stock from Auto Parts Warehouses have items like this.

If it could have been an overcharged Battery because of a poor Voltage Regulator, the new Battery will be only a temp. fix.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Sadly, N-E-W today is just an acronym for 'never ever worked'. Repair shops have learned the only hope is dealer OEM parts when it comes anything electronic.
      AL SORAN RACING

Comment

What's it do, or don't do?

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by colt45sa View Post
          Has anyone experienced multiple failures of starter solenoids on a '63 Avanti R-1~? I've had two back to back failures. Just replaced the battery and that seems to have solved the problem. Is that possible? Sounds very strange.
          Too often we decide the solenoid is the problem, when it is the battery-especially the 3EE in our 63s. I've replaced it twice, and later reinstalled it with the new battery and it worked fine. It seems the 3EE will show 12+ volts, and even a hygrometer will show it's fully charged, but it has no amps, or at least not enough to even click the solenoid. Now that you changed the battery-go ahead and put the old one back on and see for yourself. I even put back on the 50 year old one and it worked fine with the new battery. I did check and replace the cables also, so that may be part of the problem.

Comment

Working...
          X