engine bogged down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: engine bogged down

ok here goes. the other day I took the 64 cruiser 289 v/8 out to run a errand [ my brother passed away in my house ] I had to take care of some things. any way it happened to be a very hot day I only had to go a mile and a half one way.on the way back the car bogged down from the stop lite. as long as I feathered the gas peddle I was able to get the car home. after I put the car in the garage I looked down at the floor and noticed water spots. and went into the house.i had not felt like doing anything for a couple of days. to day I went into the garage I poped the hood took off the radiator cap found the radiator was empty. I could see antifreeze on the bottom brace but no sign of antifreeze on or near the radiator. the hoses look secured no antifreeze around the thermostat housing. is there anything elese I should look for?the radiator was recored 2 years ago,the radiator was done about 500 or 600 miles ago. any info would be helpful. thanks in advance. leonard

Sorry to hear about your brother. Check the water pump and hoses for leaks. You will need to refill the radiator and if possible, borrow or rent a "cooling system tester" that allows you to pump pressure into the radiator. Watch for water leaks.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Your leak is very likely the Core plugs (6) on the sides of the block have rusted out.

But post #2 is good advice if you do not discover it right away on filling it, have the Cooling System pressure tested.

The engine lacking power could be lack of fuel from Vapor Locking due to the overheating.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If pressure test does'nt show leak try again with plugs out. Luck. Doofus

Comment

as I was looking at the engine ,the radiator was empty, I squeeze the top hose, of course it was empty, but a light bulb went of in my head.i'm a old man now, but in my youth I was a pretty fair mechanic as all young fellas were who were car crazy.i thougt the thermostat must be stuck closed,causing the radiator to boil over. and after checking out were the antifreeze leaked on the floor I sure look like it poured out of the over flow hose.i proceeded to take the goose neck off when I discovered that the ac compressor is mounted on top of the goose neck,i then took of more screws but the compressor would not move by this time my back gave out from leaning over engine so put all the screws back and called a friend of my son and told to come finish it up,and of course you jusy don't walk in your neighborhood parts store pick up the part you need especially if it is STUDEBAKER it has to be found and ordered.

Comment

Thermostats and housing gaskets are very common and can be found at most any parts store.
            Originally posted by leonard View Post
            as I was looking at the engine ,the radiator was empty, I squeeze the top hose, of course it was empty, but a light bulb went of in my head.i'm a old man now, but in my youth I was a pretty fair mechanic as all young fellas were who were car crazy.i thougt the thermostat must be stuck closed,causing the radiator to boil over. and after checking out were the antifreeze leaked on the floor I sure look like it poured out of the over flow hose.i proceeded to take the goose neck off when I discovered that the ac compressor is mounted on top of the goose neck,i then took of more screws but the compressor would not move by this time my back gave out from leaning over engine so put all the screws back and called a friend of my son and told to come finish it up,and of course you jusy don't walk in your neighborhood parts store pick up the part you need especially if it is STUDEBAKER it has to be found and ordered.
            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
            1950 Champion Convertible
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by leonard View Post
              If it is just a thermostat, most any auto parts store will have one, nothing special about the Stude one, but you may have to buy a universal gasket and trim it. Sorry about your loss. Let the young guys pull it apart for you, a simple job even for a novice. If the coolant "disappears again, or boils out again, you'll have to start pressure checking, may have lost a cylinder head gasket. Also check your oil before just refilling coolant system, make sure it doesn't show signs of water getting to it. Water in the oil will wipe out bearings real quick.

Comment

again thank you everyone. LEONARD

Comment

Use an inspection camera or mirror to look at the water pump weep hole. In 1970 when I was driving my 1950 Commander home on leave I noticed the water pump was dripping. A few hundred miles later the pump shaft was so loose I thought the fan was going to chop up the radiator. Luckily I was in a very small town where an old mechanic still had a rebuild kit for my pump.

Comment

....but what about the engine "bogging down" ? Seems the thread drifted "some"...

Comment

It most likely "bogged down" because the heat of no coolant caused everything to tighten up. He caught it before it seized.

I have known of engines that got so hot they stopped, then after they cooled off, they started back up as if nothing happened. Of course, that wasn't with one of mine.........mine would be the one that decided it was time to let the rod bearings come apart also....(not Studebaker...)
                      Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                      1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

well guys I'm to report that the engine is ok,we found the problem. there was leak coming from the bottom radiator hose, it seems the hose clamp had cut into the hose were you could not see it,we caught it by accident,replaced the hose, all is OK. thanks one and all. LEONARD

Comment

Working...
                        X