• Show
Clear All

• LeoH
    replied
    New switch is on the way.

Leave a comment:

• LeoH
    replied
    Gotcha. No, this was the new key and tumbler acting up. Thanks for the tip about the new bezel.

Leave a comment:

• karterfred88
    replied
    Originally posted by LeoH View Post
    Hm. So the notch is at 12:00 and I was careful reinstalling things today, but, what is clearly happening to this switch, is it occasionally swings past the internal detents INSIDE the key tumbler. Not always, but it can. It's not the bezel and the tabs on either side of the switch are properly engaged in the bezel notches on the sides.
    Send it back, if it came from a vendor they will gladly replace it. For future safety sake, buy a replacement bezel, those ears on the slots will break off at some point, best to have a spare when they do. Also, if you changed the tumbler to your old one to keep the keys the same, try putting the new "not matching" tumbler back in see if that helps, the tumbler and key could be worn out.

Leave a comment:

• LeoH
    replied
    Hm. So the notch is at 12:00 and I was careful reinstalling things today, but, what is clearly happening to this switch, is it occasionally swings past the internal detents INSIDE the key tumbler. Not always, but it can. It's not the bezel and the tabs on either side of the switch are properly engaged in the bezel notches on the sides.

Leave a comment:

• LeoH
    replied
    Thank you for the pointers. Back under the dash today. At least it's working!

Leave a comment:

• dpson
    replied
    I've seen situations where the indent in the hole in the dash for the tang in switch gets worn and doesn't prevent the switch from rotating. Not sure of a solution when this happens.

Leave a comment:

• doofus
    replied
    On the C/K cars 12:00 is the magic number, going by 2 iffy overlays hanging in shop. Luck Doofus

Leave a comment:

• karterfred88
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    It is always at 6:00 at the bottom.
    Not "always", it seems the Avanti has it a 12:00 which is what I'm used to working on.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    It is always at 6:00 12:00 at the bottom Top.

UPDATE: Sorry, my bad, I must have been standing on my Head when I looked at that dash!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 04-22-2016, 01:54 PM. Reason: Opposite info given.

Leave a comment:

• karterfred88
    replied
    I believe 12:00. if it's rotating you might not have fully engaged the tangs on the side of the switch with the ears on the bezel. You'll know eventually, when the bezel flies off and the switch falls back into the dash. It takes a lot of pressure pushing the switch against the spring and nylon ring towards the back of the panel, so that the tangs of the switch fully engage with the "slots" in the bezel ring, then when you twist the bezel while holding the switch, and you let go of the switch the tab on the bezel will fall into the notch in the dash hole, if you twist it one way or the other a little. I've cursed this install a few times.

Leave a comment:

• CJMiller
    replied
    I think it's either at 12:00 or 6:00.

Leave a comment:

• LeoH
    replied
    Where is that notch normally oriented, on the bezel?

Leave a comment:

• CJMiller
    replied
    The retaining bezel that fits into the dash has a pin that needs to line up with a notch in the dash, that's what keeps the whole assembly from turning.

I can't find a picture of one, but look at your bezel and you'll see the little pin, or (bad news) the hole where the pin used to be. Studebaker International sells the whole bezel for about $20.

Leave a comment:

• LeoH
    replied
    I'll have to look more closely the next time. It MUST be the whole switch rotating, but it's so smooth and easy when it happens and it happens either to the left or to the right. I know when the key was in the switch when it was out of the car, there was the appropriate action to the right or the left.

I remember there was the spacer, and the light up plastic ring for the lighted ignition ring. I'll futz with it more this weekend, paying a lot more attention.

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Are you saying the entire switch body rotates in the dash, rather than just the key cylinder? Is there a nylon spacer that would put additional tension on the spring holder? Was there?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X