Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

59 Hawk New Side Vent Rubber Gasket Problems Installing/sealing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body: 59 Hawk New Side Vent Rubber Gasket Problems Installing/sealing

I put new rubber seals on a 61 Hawk a few years ago and had no problems. Now on my 59 Hawk I can't seem to get the top 3 or 4 inches of the new vent window rubber to seal. I have about a half inch gap I can't get closed.
    Someone said the seals could be faulty and that it depends on the suppliers source. Do I need to trim the rubber someplace? I would be interested in hearing your suggestions. Thanks, Brice
    Last edited by azstude; 04-19-2016, 10:05 AM.

have you tried a little heat (heat gun or hair dryer) to loosen up the rubber to fit the area? maybe a bit of lube, such as "3 in 1" oil?

just "thinking out loud".
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I'm wondering if part of the rubber has squezzed out of the frame,holding glass away from sealing? Luck Doofus

Comment

I have tried a combination of silicone lube spray and some good sunlight, and it is tightening, but I think the gasket is probably faulty. Thanks for your ideas.

Comment

The gasket is not faulty if it came from one of the Studebaker venders but it does take some working with to get it to fit and stay, my partner just finished his and it did take some doing to get every thing to stay and fit right, I told him to chime in on this post but guess he forgot so I am giving you his phone number if you want to call him and have a talk about it. his mane is Pat and his number here in California is 510-921-8606....Bob
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
            The gasket is not faulty if it came from one of the Studebaker venders
            The route to perfection is by selling Studebaker parts!
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Ha,ha!

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
              The gasket is not faulty if it came from one of the Studebaker venders but it does take some working with to get it to fit and stay, my partner just finished his and it did take some doing to get every thing to stay and fit right, I told him to chime in on this post but guess he forgot so I am giving you his phone number if you want to call him and have a talk about it. his mane is Pat and his number here in California is 510-921-8606....Bob
              You are hopefully not serious. You cannot buy anything from anyone that fits or works or doesn't fall apart within days.

Comment

You are, hopefully not serious. You cannot buy anything automotive from anyone that fits or works or that does not fall apart within days.

Comment

Originally posted by azstude View Post
                  I put new rubber seals on a 61 Hawk a few years ago and had no problems. Now on my 59 Hawk I can't seem to get the top 3 or 4 inches of the new vent window rubber to seal. I have about a half inch gap I can't get closed.
                  Someone said the seals could be faulty and that it depends on the suppliers source. Do I need to trim the rubber someplace? I would be interested in hearing your suggestions. Thanks, Brice
                  Check the part numbers (303392-93), they will be moulded into the back of the seals. You may have been supplied 1947-52 sedan seals by mistake. They do look very similar.

Chris.

Comment

Working...
                  X