No announcement yet.

TT Rear Axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am going to have to replace it with a higher gear, so was just trying to figure out what I had to start out with. The tag that said 45B was all I could find at first, but will double check tomorrow and see if I can find another tag somewhere. I have enough power for even a 256 or around there. Richard

Comment

45B just means it's a Twin Traction. There should be another tag on there, either with the ratio or something like 41/11 which would be the tooth ratio of ring to pinion (in my example, a 3.73:1 ratio) if the other tag is missing you will have to either count the teeth or else have a helper count revs for you.

good luck,

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

45B just means it's a Twin Traction. There should be another tag on there, either with the ratio or something like 41/11 which would be the tooth ratio of ring to pinion (in my example, a 3.73:1 ratio) if the other tag is missing you will have to either count the teeth or else have a helper count revs for you.

good luck,

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
        Hey N8 see my post above.
        Like someone else said, he could also pull the cover and look for the numbers stamped into the side of the ring gear.

5E13
        7E7
        8E7
        8E12
        8E28
        4E2
        59 Lark
        etc

Comment

I have the 45B tag on my Dana 44, which is in my 61 Hawk and the gear ratio is 3.54.

Wayen
          61 Hawk (Project)

Comment

I wiped the surface clean and found the other tag. It was so flat you couldn't hardly see it, But it said 41/11 3.07 So now I know it is a 3.07??? But if you divide 11 into 41 it comes out 3.72. So I'm not sure????? Thanks alot to all of you guys. Richard.

Comment

http://www.ringpinion.com/content/calculators/RPM.asp
              Onthis page you will find several calculators.

The ring gear has 41 teeth
              the pinion gear has 11 teeth
              41 divided by 11 = 3.727272, , rounded off to

5E13
              7E7
              8E7
              8E12
              8E28
              4E2
              59 Lark
              etc

Comment

Why did the tag say 41/11 and under it said 3.07 ???

Comment

I'll double check tomorrow. Maybe it said 3.70 instead of 3.07 Now I'm getting bumfuzzeled. Turned 68 Sunday and my minds probably slipping.

Comment

I took my time and wiped everything real clean and the tag says it is 43/14 and below that says 3.07 So divide 14 into 43 and it comes out 3.07. So now I know for sure what it is. Thanks to you guys I have finally figured out what gear ratio I have in my Hawk. Again Thanks guys. Richard

Comment

If your differential actually has 3.07 gears in it you should be getting better gas milage. Do you have a tachometer and if so what rpm are you running at 60mph. I would guess that you just need to spend some time tuning your engine.
                      David

Comment

Sure, you never said what's under the hood except GM, it could be a SB 400 with a 750 CFM carb.! Or the axle ratio tag may lie[:0] anything is possible! Either of which would account for the poor mileage, even an incorrect speedo, with an engine swap, that's a good possibility.

quote:Originally posted by 1956 Hawk

If your differential actually has 3.07 gears in it you should be getting better gas milage. Do you have a tachometer and if so what rpm are you running at 60mph. I would guess that you just need to spend some time tuning your engine.
                        David
                        StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Got to get me a tach, but I didn't know this, but after driving 400 miles to pick the car up, I asked what is with this motor, and the seller said, It's bored 40, a 5/8 cam, and 600 holley, but the car was in such good shape I took it anyway. Fast little car, but it was 100 degrees outside on the trip I took, and ran A/C all the way, so I guess I shouldn't grip.

Comment

Working...
                          X