Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

TT Rear Axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TT Rear Axle

I have in my Hawk a 45B TT Rear Axle. I would like to know the gear ratio. Thanks Richard

I take it the 45B is the production order number? If you are trying to figure out what ratio is in the car right now, the easest way is to look at the tag on the back of the differential. It should be under one of the bolts on the rear cover and either list the ratio or the number of teeth on the ring and pinion. If the tag isn't there anymore you can either jack up the rear of the car and turn the tire and count the number of revolutions of the tire and drive shaft, or you can take the rear cover off the diferential and the ratio is stamped on the ring gear.
    Hope this answers your question.
    David

Comment

The 45B is the tag on the differential. I figured it would tell what the gear ration is.

Comment

You sure that it isn't 4.56? What engine and transmission are in your Hawk?
        David

Comment

Maybe it is a 6 and not a B. Does that mean it is a 4.56 ratio? Hate to say this, but it has a GM in it.

Comment

We used to run 4.11 in drag cars, but never heard of a 4.56

Comment

I ment what was the original engine and transmission? The 4.56 was an optional gear ratio, but I would be supprised if it came in something other than a 6 with overdrive. By the way what year is the Hawk?
              David

Comment

4.56 was a pretty common street gear for the serious guys up here.You could get 4.56 gears in a 6 cyl. 3-spd/od Ch***y in the mid 50's
                Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

4.56 was the lowest gear offered by Studebaker for the Dana 44 differential. I think all the options were 3.07, 3.31, 3.54, 3.73, 3.92, 4.09, and 4.56.
                  David

Comment

1960 Hawk. The GM was already in the car when I purchased it. So don't know what was in it originaly. I know it is very low gear. With GM engine it will leave 26 feet of rubber easily.[Both sides leave equal amount] But only get about 12 mpg on the road. I took a 600 mile trip and it was expensive on gasoline.

Comment

Gotta eat supper. Will check back in a few

Comment

With 4.56s you must be turning about 3500rpm at 55mph. By the way if you want to change the gears you can swap in some 3.73s without to much trouble. Anything higher than that and you would have to change the carrier.
                        David

Comment

45B is a type of Twin traction axle, it is a code that refers to the
                          angle of the ramps in the TT mechanism , the shop manual refers to this.

The axle ration should be a seperate tag with either one number like
                          4.11 or 4.56 or two numbers, one over the other.

5E13
                          7E7
                          8E7
                          8E12
                          8E28
                          4E2
                          59 Lark
                          etc

Comment

I double checked and it is a 45B tag under the bolt head. I haven't seen another tag but could be somewhere other than on rear side of casing which can easily be seen from rear of car. Will do some more looking tomorrow. Richard

Comment

I don't think Stude had a 4.56 in the V8 with the 44 housings. The 4.56 is the Chevie gears and Stude used a 4.545 which Stude called 4.55. Also, I think the 4.55 can be substituded with a 4.27, 4.09 or 3.92 but any numbers lower than 3.92 would require a different carrier.

Ted

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I double checked and it is a 45B tag under the bolt head. I haven't seen another tag but could be somewhere other than on rear side of casing which can easily be seen from rear of car. Will do some more looking tomorrow. Richard

Comment

Working...
                              X