No announcement yet.

Rear Brake Drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where would one aquire such a "tool"?...

Comment

These days, I would say probably have one made from a piece of 1-1/4" hex bar and drill and tap the end for the axle shaft. If you have or know i=of a local machine shop, I will provide you with detailed dimensions of mine. The only thing I do NOT know for sure is the thread count/inch of the axle threads. That can be confirmed directly from your axle or from other information on this site.

6512K48 on McMaster Carr. I would NOT do hardened steel such as 1018 because then it is as hard as your axle. Keep it "soft" so it takes the damage and not your axle.
      Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
      1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

All this hitting things with hammers is not the right way.
        There are hub pullers around (or you can make one like I did) like this.
        1 remove the nut.
        2 place the puller over the studs.
        3 put a bit of grease on each stud and wind the nuts on upside down (flat side to the puller) with a washer underneath.
        4 wind the nuts on until they are level with the ends of the studs. The puller should still be loose on the studs
        5 wind the center bolt in until it presses on the axle end.

Now here is the important step.

DO NOT TRY TO TIGHTEN THE CENTER BOLT.

6 tighten the wheel studs 1 at a time working around in a random sequence.

Because of the pitch of the wheel studs (UNF) the force applied is very large and there are 5 of them.

I the hub does not pop off walk away and leave it under tension.

I have had one stubborn one which released over night.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	P1016530.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1705180

Allan
        Allan Tyler Melbourne Australia

Comment

Chuck Collins used to sell these, don't know if he still does.

Comment

I have a similar puller made from a ruined disc brake rotor hub. best puller i'v ever used. even worked on cars that have sat abandoned for years in salvage yard. make your own the only hard bit is the center bolt. Luck Doofus

Comment

Working...
            X