Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Source for NOS or replacement Champion head bolts (cap screws)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm putting on a head onto a 49 170 ( champ) the head bolts look tired ,with some corrosion apparent at the site of the water contact ,previous owner ran water ,and the threads look worn ,some are cracked at the end
    I took them to southern fastner the local industrial supplier and asked him to match me up a set for auto head bolts
    I got heat treated grade 8 bolts that looked identical
    I'm going to run an aluminum head so I got heat treated washers
    theres a couple of the head bolt holes that have been helicoiled ,wondering if I can torque these all the way up to 60#

Comment

theres a couple of the head bolt holes that have been helicoiled ,wondering if I can torque these all the way up to 60#
      Yes, assuming it was correctly installed.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Think you will find a Stude head bolt has a larger head than std 7/16 bolts. Luck Doofus

Comment

To clean threaded holes I like to use an old bolt and cut 4 slots around the end of the bolt. I use a hack saw or my Dremel with a thin cutoff wheel to cut the slots. This will clean rust and dirt without cutting good original metal away, such as a tap might do.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
            To clean threaded holes I like to use an old bolt and cut 4 slots around the end of the bolt. I use a hack saw or my Dremel with a thin cutoff wheel to cut the slots. This will clean rust and dirt without cutting good original metal away, such as a tap might do.
            UHH OHH !
            The old tap or chase question.
            Seems no matter what forum you go to it comes up.
            http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...er-tap-237679/
            http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/additio...hread-chasing/
            http://mmb.maverick.to/threads/is-th...ead-tap.28087/
            Here are a few.
            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Likely Fred Kahler in Wisconsin would have some. Don't have his contact info with me but he is in the roster.

Comment

Cap screw source

I'm a little late to this discussion, which has been well covered; however, thought I add this comment. When restoring my 1950 Champion I sat down one evening with the Chassis Parts Manual and listed every single bolt, nut and screw that was used anywhere that I was going to be working. Then I took that list to a commercial parts warehouse called "Evansville Nut and Bolt", located in Evansville, IN. They supplied everything I needed in the correct and the correct material specification. It was a pleasure to work with all new parts, even though many of the original could have been reused. Evansville is a small city of about 125K so I'd expect to find a similar outlet in most areas.

Originally posted by Lothar View Post
                They aren't listed in SI's catalogue, at least I can't find them. I couldn't find anything on eBay, either. I find three different part numbers for different length screws (longer screws for battery ground 519141 and spark plug wire bracket 520182), with the main cap screw part # 194459. Anybody out there have a source or a few they can spare?
                I would appreciate any help as I have two Champion engines that I'm planning to re-build. I recognize that I shouldn't need to replace a full set, but I suspect that at least a few could be corroded or overtorqued.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                  I like to use a rifle bore brush (brass). Chuck it in a variable sped drill, shove it in the tapped hole and run it in reverse to "screw" all the old crud up and out of the hole.

Comment

Working...
                  X