avanti brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: avanti brakes

Did the 63-64 Avanti ever come with drum brakes?

NO, First American production car to come standard with front disc brakes. Rear brakes were all 11 inch drums.
    Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

What about the 1949 Crosley? Were they optional? Also Chrysler Imperial in '49 had disk brakes standard on their Crown Imperial.
      Last edited by kurtruk; 04-16-2016, 03:50 PM.
      KURTRUK
      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Crosley had what was called spot discs. The Avanti was the first American car to come standard with modern caliper disc brakes...even if they were license built from Dunlop.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
          What about the 1949 Crosley? Were they optional? Also Chrysler Imperial in '49 had disk brakes on their Crown Imperial. Also, don't know if they were standard or optional.
          The Mopar system was totally unlike what we recognize as disc brakes. They did not have a caliper but pressed the disc sideways; more like a clutch and pressure plate.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

They all did (came with drum brakes) - - on the rear.
            All Avantis came with disc brakes on the front.
            Some Studebaker Avantis were later converted to drum brakes on the front. There is a previous thread/topic on this.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The main reason I asked is I found a online vender on ebay not a Studebaker vender I hope that listed a rear wheel cly. for Avanti's and thought that should be the same as my hawk. The more that I checked into it they are over 1" and listed as for the rear on a drum brake car.

Comment

Only the disc brake cars had the 3/4" rear cylinders on the 11" rear brakes. V8 drum brakes would be 11" front and 10" rear. Using the 10" rear brakes with an aftermarket front disc set up would require doing some research to get the right size rear wheel cylinder, but I would think that the 3/4" cylinder that Studebaker used would be the best option. Your dealing with pressures and a proportioning valve might be needed.
                If yours is a stock drum brake system, I think 1" rear cylinders are correct. Using larger would decrease pressure.

The main reason I asked is I found a online vender on ebay not a Studebaker vender I hope that listed a rear wheel cly. for Avanti's and thought that should be the same as my hawk. The more that I checked into it they are over 1" and listed as for the rear on a drum brake car.
                sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                1950 Champion Convertible
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
                X