X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PackardV8
    replied
    Originally posted by gordr View Post
    Sounds to me like one or more pistons are stuck. The crank will move a tiny amount as force form the starter takes up the clearance in the main and rod bearings.
    Agree with Gord; stuck pistons will allow that slight crank movement.

then try bumping it again. it just might be a stuck valve you're dealing with and if it's stuck you could end up with a hole in a piston if it hits.l
    IIRC, the Stude V8 is not an interference engine.

I'll cut a wood block and start on the 5 non-leaking pistons...
    While solvent leaking is an indicator, it's not proof the rings aren't rusted to the cylinders at some points in their circumference. Play Whack-A-Mole until they all move.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• colt45sa
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
    A self proclaimed flipper here used to brag about getting pistons unstuck with Kroil, a block of wood and a BFH. He did not drive them, just flipped them.

If you get yours broke loose, you can flip it too
    Kroil is GREAT and we've used it successfully every time. I've read numerous posts about the 50%/50% mix of acetone and atf and would certainly give it a try. Kano Labs offers deals on Kroil all the time and everyone needs to keep some in the garage as well. I/we would also highly recommend their Kreen for fuel systems and for keeping engines sludge free.

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    replied
    Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
    I'm going to ask a dumb question: Are you sure the tranny isn't holding you back somehow? I'm a little confused on the whole "Every time I hit the remote start, the tip of the fan moves forward about a 1/16 of an inch or so, then moves back to where it was." The fan shouldn't move at all if the engine is actually stuck.....

I'm thinking pull the starter and rock that engine back and forth with a prybar on the flywheel teeth..... Make sure the tranny is not what's stuck as well...
    OR there isn't a critter home in the bell-housing......
    Sounds to me like one or more pistons are stuck. The crank will move a tiny amount as force form the starter takes up the clearance in the main and rod bearings.

Leave a comment:

• 345 DeSoto
    replied
    Bezhawk - lol

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
    MRS K CORBIN - That's got me confused, too! The transmission is in neutral, and you can move the car backwards and forwards. I'm wondering if I should try putting the trans in third, pushing it down the drive, and popping the clutch...
    Not unless you have working brakes!

Leave a comment:

• 345 DeSoto
    replied
    MRS K CORBIN - That's got me confused, too! The transmission is in neutral, and you can move the car backwards and forwards. I'm wondering if I should try putting the trans in third, pushing it down the drive, and popping the clutch...

Leave a comment:

• KCoupeNewbie
    replied
    Off the wall question here:
    often in the world of machinery, we use heat and / or dry ice cooling to separate frozen parts.

For stuck pistons, after all else failed and crank is out of the way:
    Could you run hot water through the block?
    Maybe even put dry ice inside piston skirts from crankshaft side?

Coker

Leave a comment:

• Mrs K Corbin
    replied
    I'm going to ask a dumb question: Are you sure the tranny isn't holding you back somehow? I'm a little confused on the whole "Every time I hit the remote start, the tip of the fan moves forward about a 1/16 of an inch or so, then moves back to where it was." The fan shouldn't move at all if the engine is actually stuck.....

I'm thinking pull the starter and rock that engine back and forth with a prybar on the flywheel teeth..... Make sure the tranny is not what's stuck as well...
    OR there isn't a critter home in the bell-housing......

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    Originally posted by jbwhttail View Post
    Right or Wrong.............

On my 64 GT we started slowly and tried EVERYTHING suggested here, we still had 3 stuck pistons six weeks later. Finally I decided we were going to loosen the main and rod caps.....still no success. We then removed all the mains and rod caps lifted the crank out and gently pushed put the free pistons. Down to 3 pistons we used wood, one piston free....then we decided we were buying new pistons anyway and a heavy metal bar persuaded the remaining two pistons. Be careful and work slow............use the inside support portion of the piston. Stay clear of rods and the piston to cylinder wall.

I would also ask my engine refurbishing shop to ONLY oversize what is needed, save a little for the next owner as there will be one........
    Every time I've had to destroy a piston to get it out, the cylinder needed sleeving, due to pits too deep to clean up with OS pistons. You got lucky if yours did not need any sleeves. Glad to hear it is coming together.

Leave a comment:

• jbwhttail
    replied
    Right or Wrong.............

On my 64 GT we started slowly and tried EVERYTHING suggested here, we still had 3 stuck pistons six weeks later. Finally I decided we were going to loosen the main and rod caps.....still no success. We then removed all the mains and rod caps lifted the crank out and gently pushed put the free pistons. Down to 3 pistons we used wood, one piston free....then we decided we were buying new pistons anyway and a heavy metal bar persuaded the remaining two pistons. Be careful and work slow............use the inside support portion of the piston. Stay clear of rods and the piston to cylinder wall.

I would also ask my engine refurbishing shop to ONLY oversize what is needed, save a little for the next owner as there will be one........

Leave a comment:

• doofus
    replied
    Been down this road a few times.used a product called Krud Kutter to dissolve rust in a badly stuck cyl. in a 60 lark rag top in 70's. still own car and drive it on occasion. one pitted cylinder still but thats ok. krud kutter works,read directions. luck Doofus

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
    JOEHALL - Not hardly. I have wanted a Sky Hawk for decades...
    Just kidding, and I do understand. I've had a love affair with 56Js since the late 1960s when I saw and bought my first one. Dad and I looked in several car lots, beginning a few months prior to me turning 16. We'd looked at lots of cars, but nothing tickled my fancy. When we stopped to look at that black 56J, when within 100 feet of it, I knew it was the car for me. We bought it for $250; I drove it in high school, but sold it just prior to joining the USMC in 1970. In 1986, I got another 56J, and have continued to live the dream ever since; have now have driven five 56Js, a cumulative total of around 225,000 miles.

FOLLOW YOUR DREAM MAN !

Leave a comment:

• 345 DeSoto
    replied
    JOEHALL - Not hardly. I have wanted a Sky Hawk for decades...

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    A self proclaimed flipper here used to brag about getting pistons unstuck with Kroil, a block of wood and a BFH. He did not drive them, just flipped them.

If you get yours broke loose, you can flip it too

Leave a comment:

• 345 DeSoto
    replied
    So far, I haven't found/seen any rust in/on anything. Lifters are all free...heads are off, valves are all free I'll cut a wood block and start on the 5 non-leaking pistons...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X