Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone mounted a new fuel pump/sender in a Studebaker gas tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Has anyone mounted a new fuel pump/sender in a Studebaker gas tank?

This may be in an earlier thread; tried to research but not successful. All the new cars have a mounted sender/electric fuel pump in the gas tank and I wondered if anyone has mounted one in the Studebaker tank where the sending unit would go. I would imagine that you would have to put a pressure regulator in line so the carburetor would not flood out from too much fuel.

Thanks in advance

Bob Miles
    Tucson AZ
    Home of Lazarus and Meshach

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
    This may be in an earlier thread; tried to research but not successful. All the new cars have a mounted sender/electric fuel pump in the gas tank and I wondered if anyone has mounted one in the Studebaker tank where the sending unit would go. I would imagine that you would have to put a pressure regulator in line so the carburetor would not flood out from too much fuel.

Thanks in advance

Bob Miles
    Tucson AZ
    Easiest - http://www.jegs.com/i/Aeromotive/027...Lr2hoChoDw_wcB

Or you can do what I did and weld the fuel pump attachment off a 90's Caprice to the Stude tank and use a GM stock pump setup. It would require a pressure regulator and return setup.
    Last edited by sweetolbob; 04-14-2016, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks for that information. Right now, both my cars are 6 volt systems so it is more academic than practical. If I should get a Lark or other 12 volt car, I will try this as the fuel pump supply may just leave this option available.

Bob Miles
      Tucson AZ

Comment

This should work. I'm getting this for the Commander.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...baffle-system/
        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I would like to point out that MOST of the modern "in tank" fuel pumps are for injected cars that run on about 35-60 PSI. This is WAY more than the average 4-6 PSI fuel pump for a carburetor engine. The pump that Bob linked, while stating it was for either injected or carburetor motors (90 PSI max) would seem to either put substantial back pressure on the pump or excessive turbulence in the tank with a bleed type regulator. And, at $429.99 is a LOT of money. There are external mount electric pumps that are easily within the $50 range.

Lastly the sender opening on my '64 Daytona (I assume others similar) is quite a bit smaller than other tanks I have experience with. Thus while this pump has a universal presentation, a 50+ year old Studebaker tank could well be outside the the modern day concept of "universal." Also the pump mount appears larger than the opening in the trunk floor. So, installation/replacement (if needed) would likely require dropping the tank, and/or cutting the trunk floor for a larger hole.

Is there some appeal for the in tank fuel pump? The initial cost and install/replace complexities over a standard external electric, or engine mounted mechanical would seem to outweigh any advantage.
          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

I installed this in both GT Hawks, with HFI. Have to cut a hole in the top of the tank, but no big deal: http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...prod/prd84.htm

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
              I installed this in both GT Hawks, with HFI. Have to cut a hole in the top of the tank, but no big deal: http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...prod/prd84.htm
              That is headed in the right direction. $205.99 for the 12 PSI (more carb friendly) version from Summit. A lot cheaper than $429.99. I still find the concept of the in tank pump's complications and replacement difficulties not that desirable. When I put the T-Bird Turbo Coupe engine (EFI) in my Pinto I sourced a Ford F-150 external pump (50-ish PSI) from Pick A Part. $11 each and I bought two to have a spare since they are used. Should it ever die it is about a 10 minute swap to replace.

Some of the in tank stuff is rather nutty. My daughter had a Mazda 3 with an access plate to test the pump. But the hole was too small to remove the pump. For that you had to pull the whole tank!
              Last edited by wittsend; 04-17-2016, 09:46 PM.
              '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
              X