Starter Solenoid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Starter Solenoid

I installed my brand new starter solenoid...cable from the starter to one side, cable to positive (+) terminal to the battery on the other terminal (both large terminals). Before installing the negative cable from the battery to ground, I used the multi meter to check from the end of the negative cable to ground. I get 13 volts! How the hell do I get 13 volts straight through the solenoid? Do I have a bad solenoid?

Where'd you get battery juice from? If the cable to the battery negative is off and not grounded where did it come from??

Comment

KARTERFRED88 - I had the negative cable on the battery, but the other end wasn't grounded. I hooked the multi meter to the unattached end of the cable, then to ground. But I've since found the problem. I had attached the rest of the wiring to the small terminals on the solenoid, and evidently I was getting back feed through one of them. Disconnected them, and the solenoid works fine. I just needed to hook up my remote start to try and break the engine loose...

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
        KARTERFRED88 - I had the negative cable on the battery, but the other end wasn't grounded. I hooked the multi meter to the unattached end of the cable, then to ground. But I've since found the problem. I had attached the rest of the wiring to the small terminals on the solenoid, and evidently I was getting back feed through one of them. Disconnected them, and the solenoid works fine. I just needed to hook up my remote start to try and break the engine loose...
        Well that explains it! Back feed bad-feed back good! Don't smoke the starter, if it wont turn with the first try, try a pry bar in the ring gear a tooth at a time--good luck!

Comment

Working...
        X